Placement of Avanti Cowl Seal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Placement of Avanti Cowl Seal?

When my '63 Avanti arrived last week, I found that the hood to cowl rubber seal was gone without a trace. I just received a replacement from S-I. Should the new seal be attached to the cowl or hood? Orientation of the thin edge of the new seal?

Thanks.
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

I put mine on the cowl based on pictures I saw in period magazines although there were press photgraph's that showed no seal on the cowl.

The cowl is an easier installation than the hood just don't overlap the vent(s) in case you need to remove it/them. I put the high part facing forward again based on pictures I'd seen.

Avanti II's seem to have them installed on the hood or the cowl.

ErnieR

Comment

I've seen the seal on both sides. It's less prone to damage if it's glued to the hood, which I think is the correct method. Can't recall which way the feather edge goes... mine is off the car right now..
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	1662445

I've always put the seal on the hood, as the factory originally did. I think it looks better too!

Comment

That is interesting! On my unmolested original late '63 R1, June 6, 63 R4275, the sealing lip is forward and it is on the BODY!
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Decided to go with Rich's suggestion.. it looks good, seems functional, and (at least in my hands) a lot less trouble and smeared adhesive mess than attempting to attach to the hood.

Thanks all.

Gil
            Gil Zimmerman
            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
            1956 Golden Hawk
            1958 Packard Hawk
            1958 President
            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Yes, all the low-mileage original Avantis I've examined are what Rich said. The parts book picture shows it on the hood as WCP says, but I've never seen one that way.

Russ Farris
              1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
              1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

Working...
              X