Studebaker in Jail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker in Jail

Just noticed this Stude article and was wondering if anyone lives handy to St. Joseph County Jail.

A newly restored Ambulette has just been put on display, and was hoping that someone could get a happy snap (or two) to show us what she looks like.

TIA.
    1956 Commander Sedan
    SCCNSW, Australia.

(Please take the time to read the two news articles linked here http://tinyurl.com/294k3hl and here http://tinyurl.com/2f9jybj before reading below)

Now the rest of the story: THAT particular Studebaker now sitting on a historical Studebaker site was NOT even built in South Bend ...it was made in Canada and imported to the USA!!!
    Last edited by Welcome; 07-01-2010, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Ha! Good one, take'n a ladder to the jail. Not sus' at all.

The link in the first post did read as though there was a bit of hard feeling, and it was the Sheriff's way of leaving a parting gift!!

Maybe the new Sheriff will un-enshrine the Stude, and it go somewhere a bit more accessible.

It looks (from the thumbnail in the link) like it's a nice old girl, be it imported or not.

Many thanks for having a go at getting a photo, and sorry for creating a drama.

All in all, an interesting story.
      1956 Commander Sedan
      SCCNSW, Australia.

Comment

Steve, these are the best I could do standing outside the "barrier."

Interesting to note from the "BUILD SHEET" blow-up on the wall ...The Sheriff's Dept. did NOT want seat belts in their Studebaker ...now try to figure that one out!!!

[3000 - Omit Seat Belts]
        Last edited by Welcome; 07-01-2010, 11:37 AM.

Comment

I saw it when it was out on bail:

Craig

Comment

you guys have no idea how bad I want that!!

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
              Steve, these are the best I could do standing outside the "barrier."
              Excellent. Many thanks.

Nice one Craig.

Originally posted by copcars1 View Post
              you guys have no idea how bad I want that!!
              Might be worth approaching Assistant Chief John Botch. He might be happy to see it go, buy the sounds of the sutuation.

Thanks fellahs.
              1956 Commander Sedan
              SCCNSW, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by SlotBaker View Post
                Might be worth approaching Assistant Chief John Botch. He might be happy to see it go, buy the sounds of the sutuation.

Thanks fellahs.
                Things change fast around here! That was yesterday he was Assistant Chief Botich, today he is Sheriff Botich!!!

Comment

Yep, saw that at the IM in '07. It was driven all over, including around the Proving Grounds track.

Comment

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
                    Yep, saw that at the IM in '07. It was driven all over, including around the Proving Grounds track.
                    Guess it's not such a newly restored vehicle then.

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                    Things change fast around here! That was yesterday he was Assistant Chief Botich, today he is Sheriff Botich!!!
                    Only until November!!
                    Last edited by SlotBaker; 07-01-2010, 06:56 PM.
                    1956 Commander Sedan
                    SCCNSW, Australia.

Comment

Working...
                    X