Engine swap questions. 169 for a 245

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine swap questions. 169 for a 245

Will a 245 out of a 50 Landcruiser be a DIRECT bolt-in in a 51 Champion that has a 169? Are the physical dimension of both engines the same? Same motor mounts? Radiator hoses the same? Oil pan interference problems? Sheet metal to engine clearance problems? Can the 169's bellhousing, starter, flywheel, etc. be used on the 245? Can the trans out of a 169 be used? Any problems to be encountered not mentioned here?
    Any help appreciated.

Interesting question. Since the 51 was available with a V-8 most people wanting more power just go that route. I can tell you that the big six is physically larger. The 50 and earlier cars had longer front ends to accommodate the difference. I am sure that there are people out there who have sized this up before or even done it. An answer is sure to come.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
      Will a 245 out of a 50 Landcruiser be a DIRECT bolt-in in a 51 Champion that has a 169? Are the physical dimension of both engines the same? Same motor mounts? Radiator hoses the same? Oil pan interference problems? Sheet metal to engine clearance problems? Can the 169's bellhousing, starter, flywheel, etc. be used on the 245? Can the trans out of a 169 be used? Any problems to be encountered not mentioned here?
      Any help appreciated.
      NO. It would be inadvisable to attempt this swap unless you want to do a lot of work. The 1951 chassis was all-new and shared by both the Champion and Commander. The engine room was made shorter because it would no longer have to accommodate the longer, "big six" Commander [245] engine.

For all practical purposes, nothing will interchange between the 169 and 245 engines.

If you want more power, it would be far easier to fit any Studebaker V-8 in the engine bay vacated by removing a 169 six from a 1951 Champion. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

52-fan, BP---Appreciate the fast response. One of the local gearheads here bought a 51 Champ with the engine needing an overhaul. He wants to keep it basically stock, but with a little more power than what a stock 169 puts out. I just called and told him what the response was and he will be overhauling a 169. BTW, I gave him Cathcart's phone # and email addy. I suspect that we here in WV will be seeing a purty dressed up 169 flathead engine sportin dual exhaust, dual carbs along with a shinny aluminum head come next spring.

Comment

Originally posted by 31Streetrod View Post
          52-fan, BP---Appreciate the fast response. One of the local gearheads here bought a 51 Champ with the engine needing an overhaul. He wants to keep it basically stock, but with a little more power than what a stock 169 puts out. I just called and told him what the response was and he will be overhauling a 169. BTW, I gave him Cathcart's phone # and email addy. I suspect that we here in WV will be seeing a purty dressed up 169 flathead engine sportin dual exhaust, dual carbs along with a shinny aluminum head come next spring.
          That's a good solution Ron. He could also make it a 185 by using a 185 crank and it would be an invisible boost in horsepower and torque. Ask Darrell about his '55 Champion with the 185.
          Compared to the 169 the 245 is a huge engine. i wouldn't be surprised if it weighs twice as much. At an Atlantic Zone Meet some time in the distant past a man from North Carolina had a '54 coupe in which he had installed a 245. He was very skilled, but it was still a huge job. The reason he did it was because he an an attachment to the engine- came out of a truck that had been in the family a long time.
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

If power and speed is what he wants, try this website:

Comment

Working...
            X