I'm looking for resources on rebuilding a T-86

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for resources on rebuilding a T-86

Are there any got to have 'em books or how to's for rebuilding a t-86? It's for a '56 Flight Hawk.

Thanks!!

The shop manuals have excellent step-by-step procedures for disassembly and reassembly. I have done numerous T-86, T-96, and T-90s but still get the shop manual out for every one that I do.

Now if you are talking about how to inspect/examine the components for wear (like the synchro which is one of the most important items to correctly inspect), there isn't much in the shop manuals regarding this. I can provide a reference of a recent book that has some good information on component inspection -- email me if you need it, don't have it available to me as I write this.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

There was a live rebuild of a T-86 at a meet a while back (Lancaster?) and someone got the whole thing on DVD. don't remember who or if it is still available.

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Here is a link to a website dealing with the very similar T-90:

Bams50 is the one who taped the T-86 rebuild, contact him for a DVD of it. If he is out, Gordr is your resource.

Comment

Originally posted by ozarkman View Post
          Are there any got to have 'em books or how to's for rebuilding a t-86? It's for a '56 Flight Hawk.
          A '56 Flighthawk 6 (Champion) should have a T-96 Transmission.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Most of it is just common sense. Replace the ball bearings, and the needle rollers on the cluster gear, if wear is evident. The bearings are cheap enough that you should simply replace them as a matter of course. If the cluster gear shaft shows signs of etching or brinelling, replace it.

Aside from that, follow the shop manual's recommendations as to procedures and end play, etc.

If a brass synchro ring "rocks" on its mating steel cone, it's bent, so replace it. You should be able to twist the pair together so that they grip each other tightly. That's their whole reason for existence. If the synchro ring sits too far "down" the cone, it's worn out, even if it grips at that point. The idea is, the synchro ring "grabs" the cone and equalizes the speed of the two gears before the locking dogs meet up.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
              There was a live rebuild of a T-86 at a meet a while back (Lancaster?) and someone got the whole thing on DVD. don't remember who or if it is still available.

nate
              That was me, at SB in 07. The story was in TW, I believe October 07. That was rebuilt by Gord (gordr), Tom Bredehoft (Tom B), Doc Garbarino, and Phil Hendrickson. Wonderful story, and a great time. I was dropped at the Meet with the trans. out of my 60 Lark wagon; these guys rebuilt it, Gord and I put it in in the parking lot at the Meet, and then I had transportation the rest of the week- and a couple years after till I had to sell it. I did have a video, but have run out. Not a big loss, as it was of more social value than technical (and not high quality anyway). Great memories though!

Comment

Sooooo - what is the problem if it pops out of 2nd gear?
                Morris Van Horne
                1954 Commander

Comment

My first guess would be that the bell housing was not dialed in to the block. If the bell housing is not the original that was dialed in to that specific block at the factory, it needs to be dialed in before they are mated together. Procedure is covered in the shop manual, and there is a help page here:

If you don't do this, you will have exactly the symptoms you describe.

Comment

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
                    That was me, at SB in 07. The story was in TW, I believe October 07. That was rebuilt by Gord (gordr), Tom Bredehoft (Tom B), Doc Garbarino, and Phil Hendrickson. Wonderful story, and a great time.
                    Oh yes-- be sure to read that article in Turning Wheels!!!

You usually are so quick to defend/promote StudeVendors/dealers/transport companies.
                    In that article you mention other folks who helped make it happen for you in '07.

In more then a few posts- you have yet to mention them on this Forum...

How odd.

At least it's in the TW article for all to read...

StudeDave '57
                    StudeDave '57
                    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                    SDC Member since 1985

past President
                    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                    San Diego Chapter SDC
                    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment