Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, if it isn't one thing its another...looking for radiator options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, if it isn't one thing its another...looking for radiator options.

Haven't been here for a while, and when I have been lately, it has been for a few short minutes...for those who pay attention, the College World Series is going on...that means my job is busy, Busy, BUSY! But I NEED to take a break from the hectic workday to relay this message and ask for any info that may help out.

I have been tinkering with my Lark all winter with the brakes, and now they are where I want them to be (well mostly, I have some minor stuff I need to work out just for my standards, but they are road worthy again) Then, about a month and half ago, the alternator conked out...three weeks ago, I got that done. Now, after finally being able to enjoy my Lark this summer, another major thing has given up the ghost: the radiator.

Granted, I could tell it was getting a little tired. After 47 years and 100,800 miles I could see the effects of aging, but I guess I did not figure it would happen this way. I was driving down the highway at around 45 when water started spraying onto my windshield on a bright sunny day. I could tell it was coming from under the hood, so I pulled over and took a look, and the base of the neck? I don't know the proper term. The short tube where the cap snaps on, where it connects to the top of the radiator, was foaming coolant out, collecting on the fan and spraying everywhere under the hood. Messy, but I caught it right way, so no overheating. I was able to drive it back to my garage without incident. But now it is out of commision til I find a suitable repair. And I figure with the age on the thing, just repairing the neck, or whatever it is called, would be superfluous without repairing/replacing the whole thing.

So, I guess my question is, how hard is it to procure a new/ rebuilt radiator, if at all? Where should I try looking? Is my best bet to just go to a shop and get the thing refurbished? Are there other radiators out there that are common to a 1963 Lark Custom 259 V8? (I almost forgot to tell you what I am working on here) And what about price? I am willing to pay whatever is needed (emphasis on needed, not what is unreasonable) because I do want to do this right. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Welcome back, Tut one

As long as the crack wasn't caused by excessive pressure like a head gasket (possible), and thae rest of the radiator is sound, no reason you can't just have it re-soldered. Takes longer to get the tools out than it does to fix it, a cinch for a radiator shop. If you need a recore, you're talking around $3-500. Personally I much prefer this solution:

Comment

No, the core is looking soft, so I might as well replace the whole thing. That option looks like a great idea! Thanks alot! I will continue looking around, but this is looking mighty tempting!

Comment

Radiator shops order cores by dimension. It shouldn't be a big deal to get the right size core and have it attached to the original tanks as long as they're solid.

While you're at it, ask for a core with more fins per inch. The core will be dimensionally the same but with more cooling fins per inch, it will be much more efficient at heat transfer.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I used a universal crossflow radiator from Summit. It measures 19x25 and it fit pretty good in the old radiator support. It fixed my heating problems comepletely. Cost was less than $200, and it took very little fabbing to make it fit.
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Kurt, what exactly does "very little fabbing" consist of? Also, I checked the Summit website and the only crossflow radiator I can find close to what you are describing measures 19x25.75. Is this what you are refering to? The price is very, very good. Thanks!

Still continuing to check out my options, but thanks all for the info so far, fellas! Regardless, I have enough at this point to fix the problem, but which option is the best? That I will need to weed through for the next couple of days. If there are any more thoughts, I am still open to them!

Also, in reference to the summit radiator, which is preferable, the dual row or the single row? I would assume the dual row, but if the single row is what you are using and it is working well with an R1, then I would just go with the single since mine is a lowly 259.
            Last edited by tutone63; 06-29-2010, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I had to modify the radiator saddle. I bent it outward ever so slightly to allow the crossflow tanks to slide it the saddle. I used the universal mountin kit and made mounts top and bottom. I used the factory top hose, cut down slightly. The bottom hose was a univeral. The bottom outlet is bigger than the original, plus it angles different. I could send you a picture if you like. Or you can email me offline and I can give more details.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
                I went this way too, except mine came from eBay. Under $200 and it really does just bolt right in.
                sigpic
                JohnP, driving & reviving
                60 Lark & 58 Scotsman 4dr

Comment

If I had it to do over, I would use that one too. Heck I might anyway if I could sell the one I put in.
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Sooo...i'm thinkin' I will probably go with the jeep option. Gonna have to wait for a little while for funding, though, but at least now I have a direction in which to go. Thanks alot fellas!

Comment

Working...
                    X