Problem with 6 cylinder overdrive throttle switch, throttle linkage, 1953

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with 6 cylinder overdrive throttle switch, throttle linkage, 1953

Working on a 1953 6 cylinder with overdrive. Spent the day cleaning the contacts and terminals, and running a new heavy wire to the solenoid. Went from 4.5 volts to the solenoid this morning to 6.5 volts when done. We've got the OD relay and the solenoid working by manually pulling the relay to ground

We are now getting ready to hook the throttle switch up, it came disconnected. The throttle linkage is not contacting the throttle switch when the accelerator is pushed to the floor. It appears the carburator stop is controlling the stopping point, with the linkage about 3/4" from engaging the switch. If I take the linkage off the carb, the throttle linkage will contact the switch.

Can some photos be posted of the linkage, starting with the carb, and working back, showing the idle and full throttle positions?

What also has us concerned is the bend (of the throttle linkage) going across the top of the motor appears too close to the spark plug. (Since this isn't a V8, I have no idea what I'm looking at.)

Thanks for the help.
    sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Studebaker used a spring in the throttle linkage (at least in the V8 in '53) in place of one rod. When the accelerator had reached full throttle, the spring would allow the pedal to be depressed to activate the kickdown switch.

Comment

Working...
    X