Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Road racer project, and a nice S-P quartet at a cruise (PIX)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road racer project, and a nice S-P quartet at a cruise (PIX)

More recent sightings...

Last Monday was the Hamilton Chapter's June meeting; this month we went to the home of Larry and Barb Gibson on the escarpment south of Grimsby. Larry, a veteran road racer, had his collection of Chevy-powered classics ranged on the back lawn (including his '65 Daytona, which is the one car in the Chapter I covet most!)...and this longterm project, once a parts car for the '65, in the garage. '66 Commander 2dr, rescued from the crusher, now being turned into a road racer. Larry's son (also a racer) calls this beast "The Turdebaker" in reference to its inglorious origins as a parts car bound eventually for the crusher...its future now is brighter by far...and faster!

And here's a nice S-P foursome seen at last Tuesday's Ancaster cruise-in. L-R: 55 Packard Patrician; 46 M5; 62 Lark; 64 R2 Commander.

Couple more of "The Turdebaker" to follow...

S.

Two more of Larry's '66 racer project...

Engine (temporary installation) and front suspension, showing the extent of modification. The engine is mounted quite a bit further aft than standard, and the suspension is all-new. Outwardly, though, this '66 will be fairly stock-looking when finished.

The interior of the '66 racer as it currently appears. Again, much has been changed. This will be a honey when done!

Teaser...not up on P'bucket yet but there was another way-cool sighting last Thursday at Pier 4...pix to follow ASAP of that one.

S.
    Last edited by Steve T; 06-28-2010, 11:30 AM.

Comment

I love it!!! 66s were always my favorite Lark types.
      Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
      Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
      Lizella, GA

Comment

oh ya baby...keep us up to date on this car! Junior
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Pretty cool, surprising tho that someone would send a 2 door to the crusher.

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom--

I think the Gibsons realized it was viable for this sort of project, even if it was only a parts car as a stock Stude...and since racing is in the family it made perfect sense to turn the parts car into a project in its own right. It'll be a heck of a ride when finished. The 65 for which it provided parts is gorgeous.

S.

Comment

Steve,
              Looks like Larry's got a sharp project underway. I'm sure when he's done, he'll have a blast on the track and most likely "embarrass" a lot of the other racersl Wish him the best of luck, and be safe. I guarantee you that car will draw a lot of attention on and off the track. Ask me how I know.

Dan Miller
              Auburn, GA

Comment

Working...
              X