PDA

View Full Version : Is this antenna worth salvaging?

BBStude
06-28-2010, 10:22 AM
Got these roll up antenna parts off a 48 Champion my dad has. They are dirty and missing the mast and the cover for the body of the antenna. The body has a knob that rolls or unrolls a wire up into the antenna mast. The wire is there but the mast is missing. Would this have been a factory item or dealer add-on? I know Roy Valdez restores antennas but wasn't sure if this one is worth the trouble. Hope I did the photo attachment correctly!!!

fatboylust
06-28-2010, 10:32 AM
I too have one of these on my 52 Commander Coupe, I hope to rebuild it. I did see one (restored) last week on Ebay for (buy it now) $150. In 1952 it was $9.51 option. Good Luck.

rockne10
06-28-2010, 09:08 PM
Well it's going to need some missing parts and a great deal of patience. If you are interested in having a serviceable unit, it may be best to ask Roy if he has any available and if he would be interested in your parts.

StudeRich
06-28-2010, 09:32 PM
Roy Valdez a poster here (royvaldez) will be all over this when he sees it!

He buys/collects the Standard and roll-up Original Antennas to use the pieces to rebuild some to sell.

royvaldez
06-29-2010, 09:14 AM
This antenna is fixable. I have seen worst. I have extra parts to make it work. Let me know. We try very hard to make a bad antenna into a good antenna. With this one we would try to restore the knob, replace the cable and mast. Depending on clutch, it may have to be replace. Not a problem. One thing you do have is the retainer nut. Without the retainer nut, the antenna is worth $$$ 0000. Good luck.

BBStude
06-29-2010, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the info everyone. It's good to know that it can be restored. I'll hang on to it and get back in touch when funds allow for me to get it restored.