Danbury Mint Die Cast Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Danbury Mint Die Cast Cars

About a month ago I saw the latest Studebaker from the Danbury Mint. 1953 Studebaker Commander Starliner. Wow! I had to have one. Checked them out on e-bay and yes there was one for sale. But, it went for $252.00 plus $12.50 for shipping. A little to rich for my replica collection! So I looked it up on line directly from the Danbury Mint. They are only $129.00 plus $9.00 shipping. So one quick phone call with my VISA in hand and two weeks later I have this Beautiful work of Art sitting on my kitchen counter. I just unwrapped it! Love it Love it Love it!
    Good Roads
    Brian
    PS The "Dream Truck" just came out on June 21st. For us old Customizers that remeber it from the 50's Rod & Custom magazines.
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Got mine Sat. Very nice. Well detailed even to the correct upholstry. I have a collection of 1:18 scale cars, but the Danbury cars are so much more accurate.
    Bob
    Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

I have had full size real Studebakers that didn't cost me as much as some of my Danbury Mint cars. They are the best. Once you get on their mailing list, you get great catalogs and offers in the mail on just about every new offering they produce. I have often wondered what the least number of cars they need to sell to turn a profit. When they send you a mailing offering a new die-cast, they usually include a postage paid reply envelope. I used to put a note stating "WANT MORE STUDEBAKERS" in the envelope and sent it back. I haven't done that in a while but I would like to know what they need in numbers to produce a new model.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I had gotten letters from the DM saying they could not deliver on time and I needed to resubmit order. I did that and got my car this past Thursday. I wonder why they neglected to put side view mirrors on it/them.
        Great little model but all the Mint cars I have do have the side view mirrors on them.

BG

Comment

Got mine Sat. also. As usual a great diecast. Side mirrors were an option at that time, and you would be surprised how many passed on the idea.

studedick from the lowwer Ozarks

Comment

The reason there are no side view mirrors is probably because those were not common options in 1953.
            Today all cars come with left and right exterior mirrors, but as late as the 1960's, exterior mirrors were not required by law in every state.
            Go look at assembly line photos of the era. How many mirrors do you see?
            Now go look at old photos (especially postcards). What percentage of cars have an exterior mirror?
            Along with heaters and radios and carpet, those were extra cost options that many people did not spring for.
            Our cars had no outside mirrors back then.

Comment

For jclary,
              I read once that the 1951 SLC, 1l8th scale, by Hi-Way 61 tooling cost was $140,000, at the time of their release they were priced around $39.95. rounding up to $40.00 per unit It would need sales of 35,000 units to meet tooling cost alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
                For jclary,
                I read once that the 1951 SLC, 1l8th scale, by Hi-Way 61 tooling cost was $140,000, at the time of their release they were priced around $39.95. rounding up to $40.00 per unit It would need sales of 35,000 units to meet tooling cost alone.
                That is a sobering figure. If those figures relate to the cost of the Danbury Mint numbers, having all the SDC members buy one, would hardly make a dent in the overall sales of the models. That is disappointing, I would hope that our numbers would have a small role in providing an incentive to keep producing die-cast Studebaker models.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                X