350 chebby motor and trans install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 350 chebby motor and trans install

I have a '62 Hawk that the 259 motor is ratched. I was considering rebuiling the engine to 289 specs and adding a floor shift. In a previous thread it was identified that the floor shift idea is not a feasible idea considering that the auto trans is not compatible to the shift pattern (PRND12) I would desire.
    I have available a 350 motor and auto trans out of a '79 Z28. Question: Is it possible to install this setup in the Hawk and if so, how much fabricating is involved?
    Help with this would be much appreciated as I am considering all options to move forward with this car.

Thanks, Greg

you'll need to fab a mount for the transmission, as the Stude engine used the bellhousing to mount the trans. Alternately, if you wanted to keep it sort-of stock looking, you could use a bellhousing from a 65 or 66 Stude and keep the Flightomatic and column shift. It should live fine behind a 350 as long as it's in good shape and you haven't built the motor up too much (really I would think that a THM350 would die at lower abuse levels than a FOM, but that is just conjecture.) Front mounts, you'll be kind of on your own there, but I know it's been done before and didn't sound too difficult. Possibly the 65-66 Lark-type mounts could be adapted somehow to be used in a C-K body? (plate to space them back?) The Chevy motor is smaller than the Stude so it won't be too hard to fit. I would assume that you'll need to use "rams horn" type manifolds like were used in the 65-66 cars. You might get lucky and find that 65-66 Lark head pipes will allow you to connect your old exhaust with only minor tweaking. (did they have dual exhausts in 65-66? if not then scratch that idea.) Fuel pump clearance might be an issue depending on what you use for motor mounts. You might need to source an old 60's fuel pump if you stick with mechanical.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Confused. A '62 Hawk came with a 289.

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Tom, yes, I know. However I think the engine was swaped out at some point in it's life. It is definitely a 259. The serial number says so, and the stroke was checked.

Greg

Comment

That should be an easy swap. I suggest you buy an issue of Street Rodder or something similar and read through the ads. There are any number of weld-in or bolt-in Chevy motor mounts as well as about anything else you might need. You could also Google Speedway Motors or Summit Racing Equipment for their online catalogues.

Hope this helps

Comment

hey, there is a guy in Sask. that makes, or at least used to make mounts for this swap...just can't remember his name at the moment, perhaps another forum member can...or check out Slick Stude Stuff website. good luck, junior.
            sigpic
            1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Studebaker International has adaptors.

Bob Langer
              Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Thanks everybody for the input. It looks like I will be installing the 350 motor and a 350 trans. Additional question: Will the driveshaft have to be remanufactured to fit?

Greg

Comment

Greg, you probably will have to swap the driveshaft. I don't know if the yoke will fit the Chebby transmission, but the length will almost certainly be wrong. You might want to save the driveshaft from the donor car, and have it shortened or lengthened to fit. Regina should have a driveline shop hat can do this.

You ought to get in touch with Pat Graves in Saskatoon. He's done several such swaps, and he does really first-class work. Also does disc brake conversions and R&P steering conversions using a Cavalier rack. I don't have his contact info at hand, but check with any of the SDC folks in SK, and you should be able to get it.
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have a rebuilt 289 shortblock for sale, too bad your all the way up in Canada.
                    It even has some R-series mojo in it.

Tom
                    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
                    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
                    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
                      (really I would think that a THM350 would die at lower abuse levels than a FOM, but that is just conjecture.)
                      nate
                      I have no idea how much abuse an FOM can take, but it has been well documented that turbo 350 transmissions can take a s---load of abuse, even stock ones so I really think you should have no concerns using one. One of the best value/dollar trans around, thats why so many rod builders use chevy 350/350 combos. BTW, Pat Graves was the name I couldn't remember...thanks Gord R.
                      sigpic
                      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Thanks everybody. We're good to go for now. I'm sure you will be hearing from me again.

Greg

Comment

Sounds like no road trip to California for you!

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                            I have no idea how much abuse an FOM can take, but it has been well documented that turbo 350 transmissions can take a s---load of abuse, even stock ones so I really think you should have no concerns using one. One of the best value/dollar trans around, thats why so many rod builders use chevy 350/350 combos.
                            Yep, a TH350 is just about bulletproof. Same as the 350 engine. And, plenty of equipment to hop up either. Of course, you're using a 79 350, which is pretty anemic, and I don't think it could hurt a FOM if you wanted to use that.

Comment

Working...
                            X