vapor lock......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• vapor lock......

I took Irene on Her first cruise yesterday and with the temp around 95 degrees I think I had vapor lock. WHen I arrived on location the carb acted as though it was starving for gas. My daughter and I had an icecream and 30 min later when we decided to leave it would not start. It would fire but would not start. I called my good friend and he came to my assistance with a can of starter fluid. He kept feeding it until it would run on its own again. I made the trip home and now I need to add an electric fule pump. So, my question is with a 6 volt positive ground system what it the prefered fuel pump to install at the tank. I made provisions for this when I wired it up so the wire is already there. I am not sure of the spec for the pump that I need to install so any info would be great. Also do I need to wire it up so that it is on all of the time or do I put it on a seperate switch. Thanks
    Domenic Manera, Fire Chief
    City of York Fire Department
    York, SC 29745
    1954 Regal Starlight Coupe

You need to wire it so that it is on when there is oil pressure in the engine. That way, when an oak tree jumps in front of you and you can't stop, when the engine quits, the oil pressure drops and the fuel pump stops pumping.

There exists a 6 volt pump with soft rubber vanes that can be drawn through, will not over pressurize the system, and can be run (by changing connections) pos or neg ground. It was written about in TW in the Co-Operators column years ago, I got one and am happy with it, but cannot remember the issue or the pump's designation. I took the name to NAPA and they got it for me the next day.

You might want to consider putting a return line from the carb to the fuel pump, too. you can buy a filter which mounts just before the carb, has a connection (with restriction) for a return line. Use a 3/16 SS brake line, but don't worry about double flares, there is no pressure on the return line. Braze a return line in the fill tube above the full level of the tank. This return line will allow fuel to return to the tank, rather than waiting to get used, and boiling in the line from engine heat.

Comment

Working...
    X