Back-up light switch for 59 hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back-up light switch for 59 hawk

The wiring diagram in the service manual has me confused. The C diagram for a 59 doesn't show backup lights, but then there is a grouup of small diagrams that just show individual circuits. One of these show back-up lights. My question is, did a 59 hawk have back-up lights or not.

My car has backups lights in the tail light housings. The guy that had the car before me installed a manual rocker switch under the dash to turn the back-up lights on and off. If it was supposed to have back-up lights, where would the switch to control the lights go? Is it something I can add?

I pulled the steering wheel so I could get to the turn signal switch. No back-up switch in there.

Advice appreciated
    Wayne
    "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

If you have a stick shift you should see one switch at the bottom of the column hooked to the shift levers. If it's a AT, there would be two, one for the BU, one for the neutral start.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Yes what John said; my 58 hawk sure has them. on my car, the wire running to the BU lights is black/white.

Joe D.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot to mention it was a 3 speed manual. Where at the bottom of the column. Are we talking under the hood where the linkage going to transmission connects to the column?
        Wayne
        "Trying to shed my CASO ways"

sigpic

Comment

My wifes '59 Silver Hawk was sold new from a Studebaker dealer in Marion N.C. On this cars production order, it shows back up lights AC 2858. IMMIC, all the 57-61 Hawks came with the light assemblies in the taillight housing, they were not connected. I'm not sure if the wires were already in the harness, (probably so) and just left the switch off of the column. I have never looked to see. Hope this helps.

Dan Miller
          Auburn, GA
          Last edited by ROADRACELARK; 06-27-2010, 03:19 PM.

Comment

yes, I believe the separate wiring diagram indicates that the BU lights were an option, so if your car was not so ordered, you may have to add pieces to make a factory correct installation.

nate
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by wdills View Post
              Sorry, I forgot to mention it was a 3 speed manual. Where at the bottom of the column. Are we talking under the hood where the linkage going to transmission connects to the column?
              Yes, that is correct. About the only simple way to do it was to connect the Reverse shift lever with a small rod to the the back-up Light switch which has two holes in the steering jacket to screw it on.

The Studebaker Chassis Parts Catalog will show the correct switch required, depending if you have Saginaw Power Steering or not.

Automatic trans. cars have a DUAL purpose back-up & neutral start switch, not two switches.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X