Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N Air Filter for Avanti

Folks - anyone have any experience using the K&N 4600 Air Filter on
    an Avanti? Does the unit fit our filter shroud and seat properly? If not any recommendations
    on readily available paper alternatives? Not finding the old Fram 181 0r 102's still around.
    Thanks
    Avanti R-1 #2552
    Now set up as an R-3

Luber-finer p/n# AF102

Click image for larger version

Name:	Luber-finer AF102.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	1662413

And the rest of the '63 Avanti filters...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Luber-finer 1963 Avanti Filters.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	1662414

Should be the same numbers for 'Champ' brand, AC brand, and STP brand.

Note: If you should choose to use the K&N filters, be triple sure you follow their instructions to a "T" about proper oiling and proper drying when servicing.

HTIH
    Jeff
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I don't know if you have an R1 or R2 but you can check into these applications...

R1...K&N E1230

R1...NAPA #FIL 2180
      R2...NAPA #FIL 2112 (two needed)

Years ago I owned both an Avanti R1 and a '64 Pontiac Bonneville...they used the same air and oil filters. When I couldn't find an application for the Avanti I would simply look up the Bonneville's part number and it worked fine.
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

One persons opinion....K&N (and the like) are for race cars.... Take it for what it may be worth.
        They keep a good job of keeping "rocks" out of the intake...but little else.

This is from experience on both bikes AND cars...

Mike

Comment

Jeff, isn't the listed PF24 OIL FILTER, a shorty filter? Don't they still make the (Fram) PH11 replacement FULL SIZE oil filter for Cadillac, Buick Olds, Studebaker with full flow filter?
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich,
            I just purchased a Fram PH11 for my Avanti a couple weeks ago. Autozone had a "free Oil filter" with 5 qts.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

Originally posted by 52 Ragtop View Post
              StudeRich,
              I just purchased a Fram PH11 for my Avanti a couple weeks ago. Autozone had a "free Oil filter" with 5 qts.
              Jim
              Thanks Jim, but I have no problem finding a Fram, it's the Luber-finer, Champ, AC or STP that I prefer. I now use NAPA/Wics filters, as I no longer trust the Frams since the several buyouts of Conglomerates, the quality has suffered severely as many here have testified to the low oil press. problems with them.

The problem with Autozones in Washington is there are something like 2 or 3 in the State, NONE in driving distance, and the ONE 35 miles away closed. We have plenty of Schucks/O'Reilly stores to get some things cheaper, but only "popular" items.
              StudeRich
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The Fram PH11 crosses to a PF24 in Luber-finer, Champ, A/C...
                The use of the word 'full size' can be quite misleading.
                Full size as compared to what?
                What type if media is in there? What contaminant capacity does it have?
                From a technical point of view, I have to say the PF24 is the correct filter for the application, according to our engineers, who build the spec's for the oil filters.
                If you want a long can, use the PH11.
                Jeff

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                Jeff, isn't the listed PF24 OIL FILTER, a shorty filter? Don't they still make the (Fram) PH11 replacement FULL SIZE oil filter for Cadillac, Buick Olds, Studebaker with full flow filter?

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

The long oil filter holds a quart of oil...the short filter holds half that. They both fit the same, but the long filter obviously has increased filtering capacity. The short filter was specified for GM cars that had restricted access for the long filter.
                  Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

If it doesn't hold a Quart, it is not full sized as seen on Chevy. and Studebaker filters, they come in short 1/2 to 3/4 Qt. size for clearance on some non-Stude. Engines and full size.

I will have to continue using the NAPA/Wix #1049 full size filters then.

I admit I have not cut one open to see how MUCH filter media is in there, but at least they have the correct oil capacity to fill a Stude. with 6 Quarts, no measuring or guessing!
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

<lol>.. I know that... Now stop and think for a moment.
                      When GM , Ford, Chrsler, and the rest need a new filter design, who do they go to....and why?
                      But equating filter can length and/or canister volume with 'filtering capacity' can be more difficult than you think.
                      Filters can, and must, be pretty technical.
                      Filter requirements, and manufacturing technologies change through the years.
                      You guys stick with whatever pleases you.
                      I'll just provide good answers, with fact based, information and leave the choosing to y'all.
                      Jeff

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                      The long oil filter holds a quart of oil...the short filter holds half that. They both fit the same, but the long filter obviously has increased filtering capacity. The short filter was specified for GM cars that had restricted access for the long filter.
                      Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 06-27-2010, 06:47 PM.

Jeff

Comment

I have no idea what oil filter designs and capabilities are based upon for a particular engine. It would seem logical...to me at least...that there should no reason not to simply use one filter for all your engines...outside of maybe the restricted space requirements. That would so simplify manufacturing and inventory requirements. For many, many years, Ford used one filter for all their domestic production. It never made sense to me that within GM, Chevrolet used one design and all the rest of the GM divisions used another. There must be some serious engineering issues I have no idea of that requires so many filters.

Back in the 1970's I worked for JC Penney in one of their auto centers. We carried two lines of oil filters...a standard type oil filter and a double filter (doubling the filtering elements internally). Both were made by Champion Labs. What the advantage of the double filter was when the standard met all manufacturers specifications is still kind of an unanswered question to me. If you change your oil and filter on a regular basis what's the need for the double filter?

It would also seem (to me at least), that oil would take longer to pass through the extra elements in the double filter...in a cold engine that could cause the bypass to open allowing unfiltered oil to be distributed throughout the engine. Maybe I'm wrong in my thinking on that.

Engineering filters is a science in itself it seems.

Comment

Another persons opinion. I have used K&N air filters for nearly 20 years now on many different types of vehicles including street, race, and off road. I have had nothing but excellent performance from them. They have kept everything out of my intakes from water,mud, dirt, and sand. And assorted rocks.

Bruce.
                          1958 Transtar 3E6-122
                          1958 Transtar 3E13-31
                          1959 Transtar 4E7-122
                          1959 Lark 2 door Wagon
                          1960 Transtar 5E28-171
                          1960 Lark Gasser
                          1963 Daytona

Comment

K &amp; N filter.

I use a K&N filter in my R2. I had to shave a small ring oround the top, it was too tall, to mount in in the same place as stock without extending the shaft.
                            Roland

Comment

Roland - was that the K&N E1230 filter? I have an R-3 set up so would expect mine to be same as your R-2
                              Thanks

Steve
                              Avanti R-1 #2552
                              Now set up as an R-3

Comment

Working...
                              X