Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value?

=lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
    Last edited by Studedude; 12-14-2010, 07:03 PM.
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Not a '55. That's a '59 Scotsman like mine. Looks like it has some decent sheetmetal too.

Speaking of trucks, I'm on the lookout for a rust free driver's side door if anyone has such a piece. (I know, hen's teeth..)

Comment

If it has a lot of parts, (I ask) I could give ol 'Orange a good run. I have a 57 V8 w/auto.

Comment

I just parted a better one than that with a 245 commander engine, and rust free cab and bed, tried 3 times on e-baby and could not get $300.00 for it so now it will bring in more for the parts, engine and gas tank already sold, have a nice ride.
        Candbstudebakers
        Castro Valley,
        California

Comment

These Studebakers are just like real estate. Location, location, location. I see lots of stuff in the west that people in the eastern states would like to have, but time and distance stops the deal. The big problem for most of us is the total cost after transport.
          That truck in Oklahoma has potential, but a person would have to want it pretty bad to bid with only one picture in the ad.
          "In the heart of Arkansas."
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

I know the getting one from west to east does cost a lot and adds to the total but then that the way life is so more and more of the ones here go to the scrapper, as most that know me know I do my part and try to get parts and cars east to be saved, but that is always not the case as with this one, now it will be only parts that can go east, am thinking about a trip to Reedsvile in Nov. but only if I have people that want big items as I would deliver for free along the way as always...Bob
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

That one has no Parts with it WYCIWYG

Comment

Here's a response I got from the owner/salvage yard thru eBay when I mentioned the Scotsman front clip.

"hi and thanks for your question....when we purchased the pickup, it came through our salvage with a bill of sale, no title. there were no numbers to go by other than the vin number. when we took the vin number to the tag office to apply for a title, it came to us as a 1955 studabaker....i don't know how the tag office came to that conclusion, but thats what the title says....someone had started restoration, so maybe they could have changed some fenders, ect.....if you have any other questions you can call me at 580-239-2029...my name is loyd. thanks."

Looks like it could be a solid truck to start with but I already have a '57 Transtar project and a '64 Daytona HT project waiting so I don't need it.
                \'57 3E6-12 Transtar Deluxe
                \'64 Daytona HT

Comment

Something for the rust belt folks to consider when looking at rust free or low rust vehicles from the West. It may cost $7-800 on top of the purchase price to get it to you, but compare that to the cost of rust repair on the cheaper rusty vehicles in your area. Add to that the fact that you would have a vehicle that has never needed rust repair modification and that shipping cost could save you a lot of time and money, plus ending up with a more original piece. Just food for thought.
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA
                  Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Dilling View Post
                    Something for the rust belt folks to consider when looking at rust free or low rust vehicles from the West. It may cost $7-800 on top of the purchase price to get it to you, but compare that to the cost of rust repair on the cheaper rusty vehicles in your area. Add to that the fact that you would have a vehicle that has never needed rust repair modification and that shipping cost could save you a lot of time and money, plus ending up with a more original piece. Just food for thought.
                    In theory, I agree with you. All of the Studebakers and many other cars that I have purchased in the past 20 years were shipped to me from out of this area. My question is; How do you get non-ops (or ops) shipped across the country for "$7-800"?
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Pat, a non-running car from the West Coast to NY is $1300-1400. If it doesn't have operable brakes, it will be a challenge to get a transporter to even take it. If a car can start and drive on the transport, and stop, you can deduct $1-200. Not tough to arrange, and no biggie on a $5K and up car if it's what you really want. The higher the price of the car, the less that cost is an issue.

The problem comes on a project or parts car. A $500 Stude body with solid floors and rockers is a great deal- not so much when it becomes $1800-2000. On the surface it still doesn't sound bad, but here's the catch: western cars have better floors, but the rest is usually worse: Interior, headliner, dash, and especially weatherstripping, all cooked to a crisp. In the Northeast we have the lower rust the WC doesn't, but our interiors on the average our infinitely better. We usually have headliners, uncracked (or close to it) dash pads, and seats and door panels that are decent; seats usually need just a cover.

Another treat that is rarely mentioned, but is a real problem: When you buy WC you run the serious risk of off upper rust, meaning the roof edge. This is MUCH harder to repair than floors; replacement floor pans are mostly available, and require much less precision to replace. My experience is that sellers sometimes bondo in roof rust and paint, and you have no idea for a month or so until it starts bubbling and cracking; maybe ruining that new headliner you just put in thinking you don't have a problemAlso, floors can frequently be patched; to repair drip rails correctly, one usually needs to find a donor roof and splice it on. To top it off, many WC cars have floor rust anyway- not from salt from the bottom, but from water leaking in through the aforementioned crispy weatherstrips and being held by carpets or mats. I've also bought cars with a statement like "only rust is a strip on the driver's floor about 5" long by 1" wide", only to find out once you cleaned it up you have more like 18" long by 10" wide (my Lark wagon).

So basically, it's "pick your pizen". There are times when it's worth paying the shipping. My experience is that it's not universally true.

That said, I need to add this: Bob Peterson of C and B Studebakers is to date the only Studebaker vendor I have ever heard of that offers any solution to this. Bob has made several trips from his place in So. Cal. all the way to PA with his truck loaded Sanford-style with Studebaker parts- look:

First time I heard of this I couldn't believe it! Bob will deliver his stuff FREE to the East- and all along the way in between. It's easy- if he has it, you prepay it and he brings it; you either pick it up at the destination or meet him along his route, and save that huge shipping cost- and hassle- and from a well-known and trustworthy seller. I suppose Bob is the only one who does this because there certainly isn't any big profit to be made. Those of us here on the right coast are very grateful for his efforts, and the number of projects this service has helped are staggering. Again, sincere thanks to you, my friend!

Now, about that Reedsville trip Bob... would you be willing to bring a car within the rest of your stuff?

Comment

Sanford style... LOL, I love it!
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Only if I sold the car, a one way trip with someone else s car does not pencil out, I sell parts and can haul more, a full car or truck takes up all the room unless it cn be packed full for the trip...Bob
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                            Only if I sold the car
                            OK, sometime give a rundown of what you've got for sale

Comment

Getting back to the original subject of this thread...Some of you may remember that last fall I drove nearly a thousand miles to Bob Whiten's (Clonelark) home in Tulsa to pick up an old 1955 E-12 flat-bed truck. Bob and I agree that I could take the remains of the old truck to a scrap yard and get my purchase price back. However, I will never see the money spent on gas again! Thing is...that is not the point. The value of the memories and the adventure of the "Road Trip" is priceless. It is like many of us who dream of doing a "Frame-Off" restoration. It is easy to talk about, easy to criticize, and very very easy to give advice to others on how they should spend their money in the process. Fact is...unless you have actually done one, you have very little credibility in talking about it. Once you have done at least one, you most likely admire, encourage, and celebrate the efforts of others. I would say that if someone wanted this truck to play with and had the time, hauling equipment, and gas money...declare a "road trip" and strike out for some adventure!
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X