PDA

View Full Version : '53 C/K Air Conditioning.

Chris_Dresbach
06-25-2010, 02:22 PM
:) How would you like to have these on your car? I got this in the mail today from Matt Burnette. They are a set of PROTOTYPE air ducts for a '53 C/K car. They came out of the proving ground graveyard. They mount on the rear fenders and would have rubber hoses on the inside that ran into the interior, bringing in cool air. They were never produced because there was no way to really shut them off, like closing production intake vents on fenders. Besides that, my gosh they would be ugly on the rear fenders of a '53!
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx323/chris_dresbach/prototypes/1953CKairductsEX.jpg

Chucks Stude
06-25-2010, 02:55 PM
With the early A/C's in the trunk, this would make sense on a Novi air. The Cadillac from that era used the same vents although they did not use the Novi unit, but another trunk mount. Was it Harrison, can't remember.

StudeRich
06-25-2010, 05:25 PM
/Cut/The Cadillac from that era used the same vents although they did not use the Novi unit, but another trunk mount. Was it Harrison, can't remember.

Yes, Harrison IS GM, so that's what Cadillac would use.

The only other reason that comes to mind for a pair of ugly crude vents like that on the rear, would be on Propane or CNG (Natural Gas) powered cars, for trunk vents, due to the Fuel tank being in the Trunk.
They might not work well on Propane though, because it is heavier than air.

johnod
06-25-2010, 06:00 PM
I don't think the Caddie vents were anywhere near that ugly.

Mr. Bill
06-25-2010, 06:56 PM
I believe the early (53-56) GM trunk mounted systems used in Cadillacs, Buicks, and Oldsmobile were Frigidaire units.

The 1954 Pontiac 8 Models (or limited to just Star Chief models??) were the first GM cars to use the Harrison system, which put all the air conditioning components up under the hood and ducted through the dashboard.

1956 Cadillacs were the last to use the trunk mounted systems with the exception of limousines and other dual air applications in which a rear unit was needed.

I'm assuming the 56 Cadillac unit was Frigidaire as well. By 1957, all regular GM cars used the Harrison system.

The NOVI unit (as well as other aftermarket type units) that was used in the V8 sedans did not use these fender mounted ducts.

As I have said before, these early a/c systems fascinate me. My mom and dad had a good friend in Raleigh, NC that had a '53 Buick with factory air conditioning. They drove it to Myrtle Beach one summer, the car was still practically new, and got many stares and finger points from other drivers. Here they were sitting with the windows up in cool comfort and everyone else around them was miserable. I think people really noticed the outside air scoops and the discharge tubes behind the back seat as well as the fact your windows were up during hot weather.

Dad purchased a 55 President Ultra Vista in 56 that had the NOVI unit, as well as all other options except power rear windows.

Were there any other air conditioning parts left on the a/c car in the graveyard? What type of system did Studebaker install in this car for testing? Lastly, are there any photographs of the car back in the day. I've seen several of it as it exists now in the graveyard.

Mr. Bill
Hamlet, NC

Chris_Dresbach
06-25-2010, 10:35 PM
http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/xx323/chris_dresbach/prototypes/graveyard035-1.jpg

clonelark
06-26-2010, 03:16 PM
Studebakers rusted fine by themselfs, we sure didn't need those.

Nelsen Motorsports
06-26-2010, 06:35 PM
I bet they wouldn't look half bad on the top of the rear fenders of a 55 President, like on a 58 Caddy limo.