Identify Wheels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identify Wheels

I just came across a set of NOS wheels, still in burlap from shipment to me 28 years ago. As usual, I've forgotten the intended application. They appear to be Studebaker and apparently shipped from Newman & Altman in '82. A part number label (superimposed over another label) on each wheel is 1565799. Rim width is approximately 5" (overall width 6"). I don't have parts books beyond '58. Any info on what these are intended for?

Thanks!
    Gil Zimmerman
    Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
    1956 Golden Hawk
    1958 Packard Hawk
    1958 President
    1963 Avanti R2

Avanti wheels were 1557724-P. Your wheels were used on 66 models after serial#C-134068 & C-534453.
    59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
    60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
    61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
    62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
    62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
    62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
    63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
    63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
    64 Zip Van
    66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
    66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Would these be interchangeable with Avanti wheels? Would seem to be same width and bolt pattern, unless offset changed.
      Gil Zimmerman
      Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
      1956 Golden Hawk
      1958 Packard Hawk
      1958 President
      1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Thanks Warren. Just returned after a few minutes with a single edge razor blade, removed the later part label. Underneath is the original #: 1557724! Looks like the '63 Avanti which arrived a couple of days ago will get new wheels to go with the new radials. Tires currently on the car must be 25 plus years old, some surface rust and peeling paint on existing wheels which I won't need to deal with now. Maria's been begging me to get rid of "that stuff" in the corner of the garage for over 20 years.
        Gil Zimmerman
        Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
        1956 Golden Hawk
        1958 Packard Hawk
        1958 President
        1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Pictures!!

Comment

Pictures soon, still dealing with a few rough edges. Very decent car overall, original R2, original tangerine Regal interior, much of the white paint is original and still presentable (but certainly not show quality). Same owner for 45 years. Factory invoice lists HD springs, Twin Traction, automatic, "silent" muffler option, tinted windows with front and rear sun band, radio with rear speaker, front seat red seat belts, Firestone 500 white walls. Also the unfortunate power window option. Dealer invoice (not retail price) was $4221.13.

That's when the Firestone 500 was a perfectly respectable nylon cord 4 ply bias tire, not the unfortunate radial of the same name in a later era, which became the focus of one of the largest product safety recalls on record and (along with other allegations, some perhaps overstated) nearly obliterated the Firestone brand from the roster of Bridgestone products.
            Gil Zimmerman
            Riverside, CA

1955 Speedster
            1956 Golden Hawk
            1958 Packard Hawk
            1958 President
            1963 Avanti R2

Comment

Working...
            X