Gas Tank now repaired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank now repaired

The 1961 hawk gas tank I was working on is now finished,Took a little more time then I thought, we were working on the trunk floor of the hawk at the same time. The sending unit was tested and found to be in working order so total savings 589.00 plus 59.00 = 648.00. I can put that towards my wheels![8D]

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Savings of $648.00 over What? You mean to say by doing this yourself you saved that much over paying to clean & reseal it? Or a new tank? [:0]

Either sounds outrageous! Where I live, one of the most expensive in the US. (sales tax is 8.90) $125.00 at any radiator shop will recondition one! [^]

quote:Originally posted by studelover

total savings 589.00 plus 59.00 = 648.00.
    StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had my 8E28's gas tank, cleaned and sealed in Louisville, KY back in Feb for $135.

3E38
      4E2
      4E28
      5E13
      7E7
      8E7
      8E12
      8E28
      4E2
      59 Lark
      etc

Comment

Ever heard of Re-Nuz-IT they will not look at a tank for 135.00. or do you know something I don't know? To chemically clean tank was just 35.00 I have had reseals before, know what, after a while the skin peels and covers the suppy line. Car riding down the road and then just stops, wait a while and car will run for a few miles then stops again. I was towed in and found the lining floating around inside. RE-NUZ IT is the only tank restorer I would use, there is where my savings comes from.[)]

Studebakers forever!
        Studebakers forever!

Comment

Last year I stopped to help a guy on a bike, end up his tank sealer did exactly Studelover described. There were chunks floating around in his tank. Many years ago I sealed a motorcycle tank but had good results for a couple of years until I sold it. I used muiretic (I think I mispelled that!) acid to clean the rust out. It's possible the acid etched the metal enough to give the sealer something to stick too. Got to watch that stuff though, the fumes will knock you down and it will burn your skin.

Comment

Muriatic acid. Yeah, that stuff is potent, and probably etches metal. I know it is used to etch a smooth concrete garage floor before you put floor paint over it.

So, Studelover, what did you end up doing to the inside of your gas tank? Is it sealed with some coating product, such as the one POR-15 sells, or what?

[img=left]http://rocketdillo.com/studebaker/misc/images/Avacar-hcsdc.gif[/img=left]DilloCrafter

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Paul Simpson
            "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
            The Red-Headed Amazon
            Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

believe it or not the inside is like brand new metal, after it was chemically cleaned, it is perfect no flash rusting or anything. there is something in there, I don't know what it is, they use it to prevent any rusting on items that are totally stripped.because there are no pin holes left, therer is no need for a inner coating.

Studebakers forever!
              Studebakers forever!

Comment

Working...
              X