R-2 Avanti probably will be sold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R-2 Avanti probably will be sold

After 17 years I've just about had it with Avanti's. I have this 90,441 mile R-2 and have rebuilt the AFB until it works correctly, replaced points, rotor, and coil, and replaced plugs many times. Timing and dwell is set correctly. Still it does not have enough power to do anything but idle at 700 rpm. Compression is weak, 85-100 psi per cylinder. How do I know the carb is ok! I have an R-1 and have switched carb to it and it runs fine. At my age of 71, I am tired of getting bruised hands and arms (I am taking aspirin and have a bad back) and bending over this monster. It is about a 320 point car as judged at OEC La Palma shows, and is currently in Montana. There are no quality Avanti mechanics here,
    although most California servicing was done by Mike Meyers (power steering pump still leaks), Bill Oliver (he offered me $8,000 for the car several years ago), and John Metzger. I think it probably has bad valves or cam and needs a total engine rebuild. I am attaching 2 recent (small) photos and am asking for any advice or offers. I have concluded that the ordinary guy could not afford a new Avanti in 1963 and an ordinary guy cannot afford to maintain an Avanti in 2010 with current prices for parts and service.
    Attached Files
    sigpic
    Jack, in Montana

By posting, you've asked for help and comments from SDC members here. In that spirit, take the following for what it is worth:

Yes, sad fact is over the years, an Avanti costs more to maintain than it is worth on the open market. (But then, so do most spouses.)

No; stating your frustrations and all which is wrong with the car is not considered the best marketing strategy.

Maybe, you should begin again with a more complete description (those who don't remember your earlier similar posts don't know whether it is 3-speed, 4-speed or automatic), more photos, your location (Montana is large place) and an asking price.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by jnfweber View Post
      After 17 years I've just about had it with Avanti's. I have this 90,441 mile R-2 and have rebuilt the AFB until it works correctly, replaced points, rotor, and coil, and replaced plugs many times. Timing and dwell is set correctly. Still it does not have enough power to do anything but idle at 700 rpm. Compression is weak, 85-100 psi per cylinder. How do I know the carb is ok! I have an R-1 and have switched carb to it and it runs fine. At my age of 71, I am tired of getting bruised hands and arms (I am taking aspirin and have a bad back) and bending over this monster. It is about a 320 point car as judged at OEC La Palma shows, and is currently in Montana. There are no quality Avanti mechanics here,
      although most California servicing was done by Mike Meyers (power steering pump still leaks), Bill Oliver (he offered me $8,000 for the car several years ago), and John Metzger. I think it probably has bad valves or cam and needs a total engine rebuild. I am attaching 2 recent (small) photos and am asking for any advice or offers. I have concluded that the ordinary guy could not afford a new Avanti in 1963 and an ordinary guy cannot afford to maintain an Avanti in 2010 with current prices for parts and service.
      I think you know the issue, the engine is tired and needs to be pulled and rebuilt. You can putter around the edges with the carb and ignition, but it won't help. Assuming you can do the work yourself, 2K would do it, more than double that if you farm it out. Even a 320 point R2 should be worth 12-15K running OK, so run the numbers and decide what you want to do.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

At my age of 71, I am tired of getting bruised hands and arms (I am taking aspirin and have a bad back) and bending over this monster.
        Assuming you can do the work yourself, 2K would do it,
        While JDP is the recognized market-maker for Avanti, always gives good advice, but overlooked the above.

There is no way Dr. John can do the work himself and doubtful a full engine rebuild would add $4k net to the market value of an already 320pt car. Hope springs eternal with CASOs and it would sell much sooner as is and $4k lower.

jack vines
        PackardV8

Comment

Jack: Your Profile page shows some nice other Studebakers, so it is good to know you aren't entertaining completly bailing out of Our Happy Clan.

Have you had anyone do a comprehensive analysis as to the engine's "low compression"? Was the compression test made properly (engine warm, all spark plugs out, throttle wide open?). Was a leak-down test performed?

What I am getting at is the possibility that it might perk up satisfactorily with an ordinary valve grind. You wouldn't have to pull the engine and it wouldn't cost a fortune. Sure, it wouldn't be as effective as a $4K rebuild, but maybe it would run well enough for your casual use that you could continue to enjoy the car, which you must have done to have kept it 17 years. BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob, Jack, & JDP. With 6 Studebakers and a member since around 1974 I'm not about to leave this fun group. This was more a philosophical post and I know that rather than complaining I should seek advice on the tech forum, but I'm not complaining, just tired, like my original (except wheels) Avanti, but several years older. I have pulled the heads on my Sky Hawk, had the valves reground, and put it back on a factory short block, now with 22,335 miles on the block and runs great with its automatic transmission. Unfortunately, though I planned to haul the old short block to California in a U-Haul with all my medical school books and journals, the pull over the continental divide (Marias Pass, an easy 7,000 feet or less) was too hard on my 69 Barracuda convertible, so I dumped the engine, spare automatic transmission from a 56 Commander, and all my books and journals in a landfill north of Kalispell and proceeded to California sans u-Haul, which proved a good decision.

For someone who could not afford a Ford or Chevy in 1954, my 1948 Champion Regal Deluxe Starlight proved to be a great car, and I still have it, along with the Sky Hawk which I acquired in 1968 in Albuquerque during a surgical residency. I actually did a minor overhaul in the garage while covering the ER including rings and valves and bearings on the now buried short block, which proved satisfactory. Did the same earlier (high school) on the Starlight, and installed the engine in my '48 M5, at a total cost of $50 for the pickup and $15 for the engine. It also runs like a top, as does the 64 Cruiser with 55,000 miles which I later acquired from Dick Clemons, who claimed it didn't leak. Well, now it doesn't after a rather inexpensive change of the power steering hoses.

Except for the Avanti's, all my Studebaker ventures have been rather inexpensive, and I profited from a few transaction like a 51 Champion Starlight, 56 Packard Clipper, and a 59 Hawk which I bought for $100 in 1970 only for the front bumper and side grills, as my wife had let my Sky Hawk roll backwards and hook the left side of the grill off. After shimming up a very bad looking (rough) rod bearing with a new insert, with the car lifted with the right sided tires on the curb, I sold it to some unsuspecting soul for $100, but it was an almost pristine Hawk in all respects. My only mistake was selling my 64 Daytona Wagonaire for $1,500 in about 1986 so my son could buy a 914 Porsche, (bad car) which he considered a much cooler car for college. The only thing wrong with the Wagonaire which was a rust-free low mileage Montana car was that in California, after a rain, I got drenched (cold water down the back of the neck) driving down the hill to work. That will really wake you up!

I said this was a philosophical post, and it probably belongs in the Studebaker Stories section, but this is easier. Only thing I might add, for Jack, is automatic transmission, Anaconda, Montana, and I have lots of photos which I will eventually post on Photo Bucket or e-bay, whenever I get a round tuit. As I said, there are no competent mechanics around here who I can trust to do a good compression test and leak-down analysis. I could still pull the heads and have the valves ground, but then I might to get rings next. It's very easy to keep the car under cover with the rest of the flock in the garage and go fishing and work on my 1972 Evinrude 6 hp outboard, which is also getting hard to find parts for. Thanks, and keep checking e-bay.

Jack Weber
            sigpic
            Jack, in Montana

Comment

Sorry, the "56 Packard Clipper" was a 57 Packard-Baker 4 door with supercharger.

'Nuff said.
              sigpic
              Jack, in Montana

Comment

dumped the engine, spare automatic transmission from a 56 Commander . . . in a landfill north of Kalispell.
                And I'd have driven to Kalispell and given you $150 for the '56 289" short block.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

We grow too soon old and too late wise.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  And I'd have driven to Kalispell and given you $150 for the '56 289" short block.

jack vines
                  Jack,

I wish I knew you then, 1989, as I had a short block and a complete 259 engine in the garage in Great Falls since about 1975. I planned to haul all back to California as I had sold our Montana home (finally) after the 1982 recession, but my back was bad from a water-skiing mishap (we lived on the Missouri river) as well as lifting above engine into the back of my pickup (with help from a friend). I decided to move to California for a fellowship in 1982 during the recession and to heal my back by "sticking to business" [general surgery] and avoiding all the fun things in Montana like snow-sking (bumps), water sking, hiking, hunting, and fishing, as well as lifting engines, short blocks, and automatic transmissions. My only regret is the Sky Hawk would have had "matching numbers'.

I gave the 315 Barracuda convertible to my son on his 40th birthday (145,000 miles, engine never touched) and he takes it to parades in Springfield, MO, where I plan to be for the next SDI meet. Doubt if I have a car which I will equip drive there, although I could add air-conditioning the Sky Hawk. More sensible would be to drive my 99 Sedan de Ville which, believe it not, is a great car. This is my second, my first was a 94, and this gets even better mileage, 26 mpg, and is very comfortable for me, wife, and dog. Unfortunately, the last year of a nice series of Cadillacs.

Jack
                  sigpic
                  Jack, in Montana

Comment

VERY interesting history Dr. Weber, you could write several books, at least one about your Studebaker adventures! Thanks for sharing that synopsis, and best of luck in your sale.

Comment

Hi Jack; Why not drive the Cruiser to Springfield. I loved that car and the only reason I sold it was to pay for the move to Arkansas. I knew I couldn't take it with me so I wanted it to have a good home and you sure gave it one. Would love to see it again and I plan on being at Springfield and seeing you.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

Comment

Working...
                      X