A arm bushing install question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A arm bushing install question

Can anyone give me an idea how long it takes to install upper and lower a arm bushings? It's a bigger job than I want to tackle not having a lift, and my mechanic hasn't done them in so long he can't give me a good idea how long it will take.
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

It took me about 12 hours of disassembly / reassembly time. That's not counting time to press in new kingpin bushings or repaint any components. Of course, it's the first time I'd ever done it, and I'm no professional, so maybe he'd get finished faster.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

You can speed the process up if you get another set of wishbones ready to go. Then it's just a case of swapping them over.
      pb

Comment

This is an iffy job. If you don't mind just popping the old out and slapping in new without cleaning up and painting things, it is a weekend job. If you are anal like me you will spend more time watching paint dry than doing anything.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
          if you are anal like me you will spend more time watching paint dry than doing anything.
          btdt!!!!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

About 4-5 hours if you are going to use air chisels, bushing drivers, punches and BFH's and not disassemble anything, also have it looking just as ugly as it was before!

It will drive the same either way! Not recommending this method, nor do I do it that way. Just say'in, I've seen it done.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I've seen the lowers done without removing the arms from the car. This is a moot point if your uppers require it also..
              64 GT Hawk (K7)
              1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

You can speed the process up if you get another set of wishbones ready to go. Then it's just a case of swapping them over.
                How do you evaluate usability of a pair of salvaged A-arms? As long as they appear to be straight, they're OK? Should they be magnafluxed or evaluated by a machine shop in some way?
                John
                1950 Champion
                W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
                Holdrege NE

Comment

Depends, before you even buy them. Inspect them look for cracks starting from sharp edges along the stamping lines. Look for rust pits and how deep. Look for deformation from P O's putting in new bushings without holding everything in alignment and crushing the lower arm. I could go on and on but your eye is the best tool.

Comment

Somewhere on here in a thread long, long ago, someone (I think it was Rich) measured the space between the ears on an NOS A-arm. That's where I'd start in making sure a replacement set was not deformed. I think I remember 3.75" as the "magic number", but my brains aren't what they used to be

Comment

Trying to reply-Test. I have written a reply on this and I keep being told I don't have permission, and my reply goes away-Test afore I do it again Sombody tell me what I am doing wrong befor I spend the time again

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                        Trying to reply-Test. I have written a reply on this and I keep being told I don't have permission, and my reply goes away-Test afore I do it again Sombody tell me what I am doing wrong befor I spend the time again
                        It came through this time.
                        Chip
                        '63 Cruiser
                        '57 Packard wagon
                        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Yes, Flashback that has happened to me a couple of times too. Usually after the old lady calls for dinner in the middle of a reply then when I come back and finish or are too long winded. It would drive Mr. Biggs nuts.

Comment

I am in the middle of rebuilding the frt syspension on my 53, and since I am lowering and adding disc brks, I can't give the time it takes. However, I will say all the times and advice given are good, But, I would take the upper and lower a-arms and spindle off as an assembly if I were only replacing inner bushings. I have done it this way and it took 6 hours. A few tips. Put the bushings in a freezer and leave til time to install. Mark the inner shafts as to replace in same direction as now. After removing bushings and whatever cleaning, be sure there are no burrs in bushing bores. Have a good hammer and driver (I use a socket to just fit over the rubber and against metal flange), Heat engine end of arm in middle with torch I use prpoane. Then remove bushing (one at a time) from freezer and drive in quickly. I think I have pictures of this if needed , maynbe I can find and post.

Comment

Originally posted by Flashback View Post
                              I am in the middle of rebuilding the frt syspension on my 53, and since I am lowering and adding disc brks, I can't give the time it takes. However, I will say all the times and advice given are good, But, I would take the upper and lower a-arms and spindle off as an assembly if I were only replacing inner bushings. I have done it this way and it took 6 hours. A few tips. Put the bushings in a freezer and leave til time to install. Mark the inner shafts as to replace in same direction as now. After removing bushings and whatever cleaning, be sure there are no burrs in bushing bores. Have a good hammer and driver (I use a socket to just fit over the rubber and against metal flange), Heat engine end of arm in middle with torch I use prpoane. Then remove bushing (one at a time) from freezer and drive in quickly. I think I have pictures of this if needed , maynbe I can find and post.
                              Sounds like good advice. I'll print it out for the guy doing the work.
                              Chip
                              '63 Cruiser
                              '57 Packard wagon
                              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X