PDA

View Full Version : 1966 Cruiser Vinyl Top Replacement ?

cstude1
04-05-2007, 12:20 AM
Has anyone had experience replacing a vinyl top on a four door 1966 Cruiser? Can it be done with out removing the front and back glass? I can find nothing in any manual about this.
Thanks,
Chuck

StudeRich
04-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Chuck; very few of the the very last Cruisers for some reason got Vinyl tops, they were really not supposed to be there! They were only standard on Daytona Sport Sedans and never advertised as optional on 4 doors. At any rate if your car originally had one it's quite rare.

Since the vinyl is tucked into the window opening, there is no way you could do the job right without removing the glass.

StudeRich
Studebakers Northwest
Ferndale, WA

Dwain G.
04-05-2007, 03:39 PM
You need a copy of Service Letter F-1966-1a, Procedures for Removal and Replacement of Vinyl Roof Cover - 2-door Sports Sedan and Cruiser Models.
And yes, the first step listed is windshield and back glass removal. An experienced trimmer may be able to work around that depending on the design. Does your 1959-64 Shop Manual have a page 20A in group 5?

http://home.comcast.net/~jdwain/63.63.jpg
Dwain G.

cstude1
04-05-2007, 06:35 PM
I have that page in the manual. The tool shown to release the trim clips
I do not have nor have I ever seen one.
Is a "copy of Service Letter F-1966-1a, Procedures for Removal and Replacement of Vinyl Roof Cover - 2-door Sports Sedan and Cruiser Models" available?
This is a 40K mile original car and I do not want to make a mistake with the stainless trim.
Thanks,
Chuck collins

Dwain G.
04-05-2007, 07:56 PM
I have removed the trim and the back glass in a '64. It's easy. I used a K-D tool # 2038. I'll send out a copy of the serv. letter tomorrow.

Dwain G.

cstude1
04-06-2007, 12:14 AM
I found I have a couple of those trim clip release tools. The manual calls for three men, two outside and one inside to install a new rear window. Can it be done alone? Also the manual has a windshield replacement pictured but it is a curved windshield like a '62 Lark. Does the service letter have any different instructions for the 1966 more flat front windshield?
It looks like the proper procedure will yield the best results.
Thanks,
Chuck

avantilover
04-06-2007, 05:46 AM
I'd say you probably "could" do it by yourself, but you'd be more likely to break the window. Perhaps you can get a couple of friends/family to assist - be cheaper than a new window.
Put it this way, what do you think will happen if you're inside the car and push the window too hard with nobody to catch it??? Maybe you have a friendly autoglass store nearby, they would likely be willing to help you, possibly even remove and reinstall the glass when the new vinyl roof is installed.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Lockleys South Australia

Dwain G.
04-06-2007, 11:51 AM
quote:[i]Originally posted by cstude
Does the service letter have any different instructions for the 1966 more flat front windshield?
Chuck

No. The procedure is the same as earlier cars even though the shape is different. The windshield still used the embedded trim that must stay in the rubber seal. The back glass from 1964-66 is a flush-fit design with the trim retained by clips and must be removed separately.

Dwain G.