Carpet (Or Lack Of) Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpet (Or Lack Of) Question

I'm still thinking through how to approach the rebuild of my 62 Lark. It is very basic and I really liket that look. I bought the car without any carpet, and I was wondering if all Larks came with carpet, or if the very base models came with rubber floor covering instead. I've done some searching on suppliers websites and can't find any reference to rubber floor covering. Does anyone know if any Larks came with rubber originally, and if so where I can find a reproduction? I think this would look really cool. Thanks,

Some lower trim levels came with a mat, but it's now a more expensive option if you are lucky enough to find one.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

All lowest trim level Studebakers came with jute backed molded Rubber floor mats, as in your Probably Deluxe
      Y4 (4 Door) or F4 (2 Door) low level '62 Lark.
      Most of the surface was bumpy kind of simulated carpet look, and earlier years actually came in COLORS!

Of course some models such as Avantis, Hardtops and Convertibles usually did not come in low trim levels so low as to have no Carpets.

But as JDP said, now-days the cheaper type is definitely Carpet as there are few and far between Rubber Mats still around and if there are, they are old, dried out and cracked or about to.

Also, there is not enough demand for Studebaker Mats to make enough profit in 100 years to pay for the molds.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        All lowest trim level Studebakers came with jute backed molded Rubber floor mats, as in your Probably Deluxe
        Y4 (4 Door) or F4 (2 Door) low level '62 Lark.
        Most of the surface was bumpy kind of simulated carpet look, and earlier years actually came in COLORS!

Of course some models such as Avantis, Hardtops and Convertibles usually did not come in low trim levels so low as to have no Carpets.

But as JDP said, now-days the cheaper type is definitely Carpet as there are few and far between Rubber Mats still around and if there are, they are old, dried out and cracked or about to.
        Also, there is not enough demand for Studebaker Mats to make enough profit in 100 years to pay for the molds.
        Tell me about it. A few years ago I had a beautiful sealed box with the part number for a rubber mat for a '41 Champion. I had a buyer at York, but we decided to look in the box before he paid. Can you say crumbs and powder? The jute backing was nice though.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

My mat is chipping away from work being done on the car. Just got to baby it!

Comment

Rubber mats have KILLED more cars than any other issue as far as I'm concerned. Once moisture gets under them, it can't get out & then it rusts out the floors. Doesn't matter what brand of orphan car you want to talk about, they all used rubber mats on low end cars (Kaiser even used them on upper priced cars) & they all died of rusted out floors.

A carpet is pourous enough to help the moisture dry out. I would never put a rubber mat back into a car.
            Mike Sal

Comment

I have an original rubber mat in my 77 year old car and there's not a speck of rust in the plywood floor.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Maybe fix it?

I have bought rubber in various thicknesses from a gasket company in Houston. I'm sure it is available almost anywhere. Glue it in place. Might work.

Comment

Ya, I guess the wood floors in my model T haven't rotted yet, but i think the lack of windows helps things dry out when I get caught in the rain.
                  Mike Sal

Comment

I have the black rubber mat in my base model 1963 Lark 4-door sedan and I really like it. It's easy to clean and looks good, but it is cracking. Has anyone had good results with using Herculiner or other rubbery bed liner for a floor covering?
                    sigpic
                    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                      Has anyone had good results with using Herculiner or other rubbery bed liner for a floor covering?
                      I put Herculiner down on the floors of my '58 over a year ago. It's help up quite well.

Comment

What would happen if you used urethane windshield sealant, thinned it with lacquer thinner and brushed it on the old cracked rubber mat?
                        Brad Johnson,
                        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I'll probably just go with carpet. I was hoping someone was making a reproduction rubber floor covering, but it looks like that's not the case.

Comment

I found an outfit that sells black rubber sheet in 48" widths in any length, and it has a pebble texture. I could cover the front with one piece and the rear with another. I just requested a sample which I should have in a week or so. I'm going to play with it to see if I can use heat to mold the shape to match the floor and trans tunnel. I don't know if anyone has tried this before, but I'll let you know if it works. I'm sure it will depend a lot on the composition of the rubber.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Sal View Post
                              Rubber mats have KILLED more cars than any other issue as far as I'm concerned. Once moisture gets under them, it can't get out & then it rusts out the floors. Doesn't matter what brand of orphan car you want to talk about, they all used rubber mats on low end cars (Kaiser even used them on upper priced cars) & they all died of rusted out floors.

A carpet is pourous enough to help the moisture dry out. I would never put a rubber mat back into a car.
                              Mike Sal

There is a ton of wisdom in what you posted Mike. I have seen it time and time again. It is not the rubber mat, but the moisture it traps. Mats with the old jute or hemp backing are better than just plain rubber because they can "wick" away the moisture. However, any covering that holds moisture for long periods of time will eventually lead to either oxidation, corrosion, or a combination of both.

My truck and my coupe have rubber mats. What has saved them is that I limit their exposure to rain. If I were to get caught in a substantial downpour, I would lift the mats and dry them out. My man cave has an earth floor, but I have scrounged up enough rubberized conveyor belts and other non porous material to use as a moisture barrier under the vehicles.

For those saying they have rubber mats and no rust, either you are not getting the car very wet, or you are the lucky exception to the rule.
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X