Side Glass Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Side Glass Questions

Time to get new side glass for my '54 sedan. The original glass is laminated, but originality (date codes, etc) is not an issue.

I see that both laminated and tempered glass is available. I assume a lot of places cut laminated but tempered is much harder. Was also thinking of calling SI since I understand that SASCO had a lot of flat glass

What are the pros and cons of laminated versus tempered?

Advice or cautions?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Any decent glass shop can make the side, flat glass windows from templates available to them. And they are much less expensive than OEM. Tempered is the best bet for safety.

Comment

The issue with Tempered Glass is that like Studebaker did in 1963, all Auto Co's at some point switched to it, but in much thinner thickness and it is as far as I know, not available in the thicker Glass to properly fit & replace Laminated used prior to '63. If that is not true, someone please correct me.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The issue with Tempered Glass is that like Studebaker did in 1963, all Auto Co's at some point switched to it, but in much thinner thickness and it is as far as I know, not available in the thicker Glass to properly fit & replace Laminated used prior to '63. If that is not true, someone please correct me.
        Not true. Can be made in any thickness. A competent glass shop can have it made for slightly more than laminated. Usually just have to wait a few days while they send it out to be tempered. Put a micrometer on your laminated original and tell them that is the thickness you want.
        KURTRUK
        (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I replaced all my glass in my 56 wagon 3 years ago with tempered and it was the same thickness. In fact I know it was tempered because I broke a piece. Went to a different glass shop and they cut me a new piece. It matched in thickness and in color. With sliding side windows a different thickness would have been something I would have noticed.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
          Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

Working...
          X