The 'fun' part of owning prewar Stude's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 'fun' part of owning prewar Stude's

I posted this over on the Antique Stude forum under "Is an air filter really worth it at this point", but thought it might be of interest here. It's a whole different set of problems owning/maintaining the '29 than the (relative) ease of finding parts for my '48 and '52!

In working on my '29 Dictator, I'm up to the carb and it did not come to me with any type of air filter. I've only got about 4" clearance from the end of the carb. intake to the front of the starter. I could run three inches of tubing, then a 90, go under the steering box about 6", 90 towards the firewall, then 90 up and attach to the steering column some type of Air cleaner assembly there. But my title says it all - is it worth it for an 80 year old engine? What little driving I do (let's be honest - it's not going out in crummy weather, isn't driven in sandstorms, and mostly will be to town and back) with it, would it equal the time monkeying with a setup?
    I'd be interested in seeing what others have done, though....

So, after several responses, but really no leads I determined a) this wasn't the original carb (hence the really, really tight fit at the air intake, and b) I was going to have to fabricate something.

I used a 90 degree silcone elbow (from a high performance parts website) off the intake to a section of muffler pipe I had bent in to a sweeping L shape that goes straight up to an air cleaner I found on a Model A/T parts website. Painted the pipe and clamped assembly as you can see to the manifold. All works really well:

1938 Commander (great-grandfathers)
    1948 Commander (great-grandmothers)

Nice, creative retro-engineering! I love it when guys use their noodles to solve stuff like this.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Plus, you can now ford streams almost as deep as a US6!
      (Watch out for that crankcase vent...)

Comment

Living in the deep South, air filters are very much essential equipment. If for no other reason, that being a little flying critter called "a dirt douber". They fly around looking for places to deposit larvae. They take dirt, combine it with a wet sticky secretion and make a sort of cucoon. They have a nasty tendency of getting into any small oraffice they can find to include carberator throats, fuel lines, hydrolic lines, spark plug holes, and just about every other tiny place that presents itself.

I would assume you'll have spiders and such in your neck of the woods? Doesn't take much to clogg an air passage!
        Bo

Comment

Originally posted by comatus View Post
          Plus, you can now ford streams almost as deep as a US6!
          (Watch out for that crankcase vent...)
          Hee Hee....[I]ford[I]streams! I get it! And ya, it's pretty tall...muffler guy transposed some dimensions, so I just went with it.....looks kinda cool I think.

Comment

bomarkham....wow! Glad I don't live your way. I only have to deal with spiders/small rodents/etc....but those "doubters" seem awfully fun to deal with!

Comment

Working...
            X