Cleaned up the Conestoga Project today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned up the Conestoga Project today

I was told I could do whatever I wanted to today, so I chose to turn the hose on my '54 Conestoga. Some may remember that I got this car back in April and it will be my retirement project starting in late 2011 or early 2012. Except to park it, I had not touched it since it arrived. First thing I did was put a can of fix-a-flat in the front tire that kept going flat. It seems to be holding air now so the car looks more presentable in the drive way. I knew it had a lot of sand in it, but was not ready for how much dirt and dust I found. Idaho must be one very dusty environment as when I turned the hose on any piece of trim rivers of mud flowed out from underneath. I had swept a lot of sand out of the interior already but a lot more still came up, the doors were full of dirt, and the inner coating was piled up inside where it had come off. Good news is I found very little rust. Worst spot is one tail gate hinge and the body edge between the hinges. There were extra parts in the car, an intake and exhaust manifold, distributor, oil filter, air cleaner, timing gear, clutch plate and flywheel. If anyone wants any of that stuff, it's free for the taking. The flathead 6 is also complete and turns over. I could probably get it to start if I was ambitious that way, but since I plan to replace it with a Stude V-8 I am not going to bother. That is also up for grabs if anyone wants it. I even have a hoist and will help you pull it out. I was hoping to find a treasure or two, but best I found was a cat eye marble. Overall I am very pleased with the car. A very solid start. I took a bunch of pictures and put them on my Flickr account. Take a look if you like.

This our 1954 Studebaker Conestoga. It will be my retirement project starting in Early 2012. In the mean time I will be planning and gathering "stuff" for it. I finally got started seriously working on the Conestoga in late summer 2013. In the mean time I was removing parts from the 1964 Studebaker donor car that I will be using to improve the Conestoga. Those include the engine, Rear axle, complete front suspension and 11 inch finned drum brakes. The rest of the Cruiser was sold to help finance the project, and the shell was donated to a local automotive school.

Here's a preview or two

Airing out

The rusty hinge

Back seat floor

Cute little Flat 6
    Pat Dilling
    Olivehurst, CA
    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Love those 2-door wagons.

Comment

Pat, Did you ever get to the drags at Glendale?

Comment

All in all Pat, that Conestoga looks to be in Great shape...all but that Tailgate opening & hinge, Och!

Everything looks very Original for a D5 Regal, all but those Circle S's at the end of the modified rear body side Mouldings, the Mouldings look like the one's used on '53 Regal Sedans, they were spear shaped on both ends. If you had a Deluxe D3, it would not have the Belt Mouldings.

I was remembering it more like this:

This one from the McDonald Auction in Donald, WA 6/24/2001 is also a Regal Champion and an unrestored original car.
        Your's isn't Canadian is it?

Maybe you got the ONLY '53 Conestoga!! Lol!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 06-20-2010, 06:57 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

3 years ago SASCO had them NOS for around $90.00.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
          Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

StudeRich -

Just about everyother 54 wagon you see....the badges are in different locations...and some even missing from the factory.
            My 54 "never" had the Conestoga script on the tailgate. That is....NO holes, no bondoed holes...no welded holes in the tailgate. It "does" have the "STUDEBAKER" bar in the correct location. And while yes... it could have been a factory replacement, there are other things that are a little stange also. And why put the center bar on and not the script.
            Like no Conestoga script below the side windows behind the doors...again, no holes...!

Anyway...the factory did strange things back then.

Mike

Comment

Pat -

That really sucks... I have a parts wagon that HAD a good right side hinge and surrounding sheet metal.
              But when I cut off the quarter to put onto my 55 wagon...I cut thru that area. I didn't "need" to, I just wanted to make sure I had enough material to work with for the reinstallation.

There really isn't much else usefull on it that I'm not keeping as spares for two wagons.
              The left side quarter and parts are rusty in the usual places, but that hinge area is good. Check your car...see if the left and right can be swapped...
              And as you know, there's a few folks on the Conestoga site that have parts, (check out "junk" to see if he can help).

Mike

P.s. - I've got a clean gage cluster (nice clear plastic) if your interested.
              Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 06-20-2010, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                StudeRich -

/Cut/And while yes... it could have been a factory replacement, there are other things that are a little strange also. And why put the center bar on and not the script.
                Like no Conestoga script below the side windows behind the doors...again, no holes...!Mike
                Yes it is a replacement Grille Bar, the Grille Bars do not come with Scripts, like all Studebaker parts, each removable part is sold separately. They have to be installed to make the left one a Land Cruiser, Commander or Champion anyway.

I seem to remember a serialized (I believe) mid year change about the Nameplates, some had the Starliner/Starlight roof "C" pillar gold "Studebaker" paint line Script on that area, and others had the Conestoga Script.
                StudeRich
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mine does not appear to ever have had the tailgate script either. It does have holes for a missing paint line script below the B pillar, the remaining shadow looks to be Studebaker, not Conestoga. So as far as I can tell mine does not have anything on it that says or said Conestoga. The side molding appears to be original, nothing else is modified so I can't see why someone would change just that. But who knows? I sent an email to Studebaker International inquiring about hinges and mentioning that SASCO may have had some in their inventory. I am confident that my metal working guys can recreate the needed metal where the tail gate attaches. I have looked at the parts some have on the Conestoga forum. I am Stu Cool there. I have emailed with 'junk' about his hatch with the glass, but his price was more than I want to pay for a spare. I don't know where mine was made. The VIN is G927716 if someone can tell from that. I'll check to see if it has a body tag tomorrow. Thanks for your input guys
                  Pat Dilling
                  Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Pat, it's a Los Angeles built '54, 927401 was the first '54 Champion built there.
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Car looks great with the exception of the front floors and the area around the tailgate hinge. Now lets get a gentleman's chop on this girl and lower her about 4" or 5" and we are starting create a cool picture.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Oh yeah, give that hood orniment away while you are at it!
                        Brian
                        Brian Woods
                        woodysrods@shaw.ca
                        1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

There were LA built Conestogas and South Bend Conestogas. I had a South Bend early 55 and still have my Late LA built 55. they were different in several ways also (besides the windshield), even under the hood. My early 55 went to Minnesota and is just about done as a mild custom. Owned by Ben Casagneri in Hibbing Mn. The guy doesnt have a puter, but does have a friend with one. we'll get Pictures posted when it completly done.
                          101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

These pictures are out of my 54 Brochure, They hadn't even put the long side chrome trim in yet on the Commander

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Woop, Der it is! Even looks like Kate and I riding in it. Thanks for the brochure pictures. Brian, I am still formulating plans of what I want to do with it. It definitely will be lower, not sure if I want to chop it or not, I'll have to sit and stare at it some more. Thanks Rich, nice to know it's birth place
                              Pat Dilling
                              Olivehurst, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X