Proper color of interior knobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper color of interior knobs

I have moved this from the SDC Judging Forum.

I have an early 1962 GT Hawk (62V-24307). There have only been 2 owners prior to myself. I would like to know if I have the proper color knobs on my dashboard and doors. The toggle switches are black with stainless inserts on the ends, the plastic end on the turn signal lever is white, the plastic end on the transmission lever is black with NO stainless insert on the end, the radio knobs are black with stainless insert on the ends, the cigar lighter is black with stainless insert on the end and the window crank handles are white with stainless insert on the end.
    Peter Bishop

I would have to look it up in the Studebaker Body Parts Catalog to be positive, but I am pretty sure you are good to go except your gear Shift knob and Radio Knobs should be White.

Most of these knobs and applications ARE shown in the S.I. Catalog and their online Website, and they show White on both Column knobs..

I think the prior owners tried to match things...WRONG!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, does a '62 Hawk have the same radio knobs as a '62 Lark?

Peter, if Rich answers in the affirmative, you might be better off painting your black knobs white rather than trying to find some good white ones. The knobs changed in '63 to the little fluted things, and I don't believe the older style are currently available NOS in white. The older black knobs aren't uncommon (they were used at least 56-61) so don't feel bad about "ruining" them. Just find some spray can paint as close to the original color as you can and have at it. Wimbledon White or almond appliance epoxy ought to be pretty close, although you might be able to find a better match with a little work.

nate
      --
      55 Commander Starlight
      http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

No, I was wrong, '62 Larks have White Radio Knobs, but your Hawk is fine with the Old style large Black W/Stainless centers and matching Cigar Lighter. The only thing wrong then is that replacement Gear Shift Knob, it may have gotten a new complete Lever and Knob Assy.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
        X