powershift automatic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• powershift automatic

I have a '64 sedan with a Flight-O-Matic. I rebuilt it several years ago with the first gear start valve body. I really like how it drives. Put it in 'D' and it just shifts thru the three gears, up and down. It's great for around town.

Now I need a little education on the Power Shift automatic found in the 63s and 64s. Is it a four speed? Can I put a first gear start valve body in it and then put it in 'D' and shift through four gears?

I ask because someone here in town has a burned up '64 Avanti and I can get the Power Shift tranny from him. It would have to be rebuilt of course. I can also get the engine. The engine has flat top pistons and supercharger. Don't know which 'R' that makes it. Unfortunately, the supercharger has too much heat damage(partially melted).

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

quote:Originally posted by casey

I have a '64 sedan with a Flight-O-Matic. I rebuilt it several years ago with the first gear start valve body. I really like how it drives. Put it in 'D' and it just shifts thru the three gears, up and down. It's great for around town.

Now I need a little education on the Power Shift automatic found in the 63s and 64s. Is it a four speed? Can I put a first gear start valve body in it and then put it in 'D' and shift through four gears?

I ask because someone here in town has a burned up '64 Avanti and I can get the Power Shift tranny from him. It would have to be rebuilt of course. I can also get the engine. The engine has flat top pistons and supercharger. Don't know which 'R' that makes it. Unfortunately, the supercharger has too much heat damage(partially melted).
    Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
    The Powershift is also a three-speed. It can be converted to first gear start too, but it is different from a Flight-o-matic. It sticks in my mind that an AMC valve body does the trick, but I don't remember well.

[img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/R-4.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64L.JPG[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/64P.jpg[/img=right][img=right]http://www.frontiernet.net/~thejohnsons/Forum%20signature%20pix/53K.jpg[/img=right]Paul Johnson
    '53 Commander Starliner (since 1966)
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire (original owner)
    '64 Daytona Convertible (2006)
    Museum R-4 engine
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Casey, you would do well to get the engine. They are in great demand. Let me know if I can help.

Tim K.
      '64 R2 GT Hawk
      Tim K.
      \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Tell me Mr. Tim, why are these in such great demand? I've never really understood it. I know that the stuff hanging off the front is different- harmonic balancer and the pulley hub. And the pan has the oil fume relief tube going up to the air cleaner. But aside from that how is it different from any other full flow V8 block? I mean, when you rebuild an ordinary block you can buy the stronger valve springs and bigger R3 valves. And you can grind your cam to R1 or whatever. What's the advantage with starting with an Avanti block versus a regular block?

Also, tell me about your '64 GT Hawk. What tranny do you use with that R2?

Comment

There really isn't any advantage in starting with an 'R' block, they are the same as the regular blocks, but they do have the R/RS or JT/JTS stamped on them which makes them a little more interesting. The R2 heads are special and hard to come by. Other heads are close to being the same, but there again the numbers are different. The unique parts like the oil pan, valley cover, vibration damper, breather tube, super bracket, tensioner, water manifold and carburetor are all hard to find. There are repro alternatives but in almost all cases there is some distinct disadvantage associated with each of them.
          I built my Hawk's R2 from a standard block and standard heads. I scraped together all the parts to convert it over a 2 year period. The block is bored .060 over, the cam is an R2+ and it has shallow dish pistons. It runs with a powershift, everything is stock appearance because the car was originally an R2 full package car.

Tim K.
          '64 R2 GT Hawk
          Tim K.
          \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

That burned up car, isn't Bill Brandt's old car is it? The one he used to race at Big Bend...

Bob Johnstone
            64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

I don't know who the owner was when it burned up. I could ask the folks who have it now.

And it REALLY burned up. So much so that the frame twisted from the hear. Twisted a lot. I wonder if that much heat might have harmed the metal integrity of the engine and heads. The super charger partially melted, and the three belt pulley in front cracked. Any opinions out there regarding that?

Comment

30 years ago, I worked on making a Lamborghini Espada (a 4-seater Gran Touring machine) out of two of them. One had been crashed SO BAD, that it busted up the front of it's engine![:0] The other had had an engine compartment fire that melted most of the extraneous items - carbs - alternator - etc., not to mention most of the front sheet metal (aluminum)[xx(] There had to have been a 3rd donor vehicle to supply the front sheet metal, but after all these years I don't remember the details. I DO remember we did the build-up FOR a customer that had engaged our company to build him a car from the wrecks 'n stuff he'd rounded up.
                Heh - my recollection of that project was that I HATED working on it! The conclusion we'd come to after a time was that they'd assembled the drive line and then built the car around it! But, finally came the day of truth when we tested the engine from the burned car. VAROOM! It ran just fine![]
                BTW - "VAROOOM" - that's what the owner had the Georgia license plate made to read.
                I did get to drive it when it was done tho. That was kinda neat. Thing is, even tho it had a 5-speed gearbox, the car was geared for high-speed driving and it was a pain around town. Of course, that hi-spirited V12's exhaust note was enough to impress anyone at a stop light![}]

Miscreant adrift in
                the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Other than the fire melting the non ferrous parts, I don't think the engine would suffer much damage. Might have cooked the oil in the pan though. I'd also check inside the intake manifold for odd stuff too.

See if you can find the Serial number and some Pics.. I collect all Avanti pics. thanks

Bob Johnstone
                  64 GT Hawk (K7)
                  1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Working...
                  X