Wheel compatability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel compatability

I have a 1940 commander with bias tire's 6.00x16 and they are only about 4'' wide. would like to take tire and rim's off and store, problem is I cannot find a rim to fit the bolt pattern, the closest I've found was a chevy truck wheel but the center hole was to small to center correctly. I would like to go to 6'' wide rim anyone have any idea's ?

Try Chevy VAN wheels.

Studebaker pickups have the same bolt pattern as the pre-War Commanders, and I have seen Chevy van wheels recommended as alternates. Apparently some chevy van wheels have larger center holes than the comparable pickup wheels.

I haven't tried this personally, but have seen on the Studebaker newsgroup once or twice.

It wouldn't cost anything to wander around a U-pick wrecking yard with a tape measure and some calipers, anyway.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I have wheels off a late 80's/early 90's Chevy Suburban on my '39 Coupe Express and they fit just fine.They should fit your '40 as well
      Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

If you are willing to go to a 15 inch wheel, you can also look at mid 1960's and possible later Buick/Cadillic. These "senior series" GM's used a different bolt pattern than Chevy/Pontiac/Olds. The ones I currently have on my 1941 Commander are from a Caddy and are 6 or 6 1/2 inches with 225x75 15 radials. Only down side is that I think they will interfere with my fender skirts.

Early post-war Commander 15 inch wheels will work too, about 5 1/2 or 6 inches I think. Advantage to the Stude pickup/Commander wheels is that you can still use clip held Studebaker wheel covers, tho not your 16 inch originals.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by skyway

If you are willing to go to a 15 inch wheel, you can also look at mid 1960's and possible later Buick/Cadillic. These "senior series" GM's used a different bolt pattern than Chevy/Pontiac/Olds. The ones I currently have on my 1941 Commander are from a Caddy and are 6 or 6 1/2 inches with 225x75 15 radials. Only down side is that I think they will interfere with my fender skirts.

Early post-war Commander 15 inch wheels will work too, about 5 1/2 or 6 inches I think. Advantage to the Stude pickup/Commander wheels is that you can still use clip held Studebaker wheel covers, tho not your 16 inch originals.
          Phil Wilson 1940 studabakercommander Bremerton Washington

Comment

Thank you skyway I will hit the wreaking yard and and give them an idea of what I'm looking for. My car only has 42.000 miles on it the tires even say commander in raised letters on them , they are ribed and reading other articles they quit producing them in 1947 so it has made me nervuus driving around on 60 year old tires.

Phil Wilson 1940 studabakercommander Bremerton Washington

Comment

Working...
            X