Venetian blinds & cruises; good day, bad day, good day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Venetian blinds & cruises; good day, bad day, good day

Took my first vacation day in ten months today.
    The day started out nice; beautiful weather.
    I got the blinds installed in the '51.

Then proceeded to cut some brush and hedges around the house.
    A couple hours of that and it was getting pretty warm.

Then I thought, hey! There's the 22nd annual Last Cruise in Bellefonte. Cruise the town tonight, then a sock hop. Don't expect there will be any Studebakers there. Give the town a thrill.

So I went. Bumper to bumper traffic in a small town. Took a half hour to go two blocks. Temperature's rising. The '51 stalls. Can't get it restarted. I figure it's overheated or vapor locked. A cop and two other guys push me in to a parking lot. I'll let it sit out the cruise and cool down. Should start then.
    There's no sense in calling someone to help. It would take them a half hour to get there and another hour to get to me. So I just stood around and watched the cruisers.

Of the hundreds of vehicles there, mostly contemporary classic muscle, trucks and cycles, there were only maybe a dozen that interested me, and only two I felt compelled to photo.

This sweet Four Hundred

And a totally original Caddy.

While I was parked in the lot, quite a few folks stopped to talk about, and ask about the Studebaker.
    It still wouldn't start but maybe this static display was better than the cruising. And, I was right, folks there never see Studebakers.

Once the traffic thinned out and it still would not start I did a little trouble shooting and determined the fuel pump had given up. OH! And all the while, I had left my wallet on the kitchen counter so, I couldn't even get a sandwich.

Did call my friendly wrecker service and the car was dropped at the shop about an hour later. Then he drove me home, whence I typed this missive.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Hey, those blinds once graced my dining room table.

I gotta say. They look better in a Studebaker.

Comment

That car, that color and with the Blinds in it is a dead ringer for Wanda Nevada, with a young Brook Shields. Just Beautiful. Soory about the bad luck for such a fantastic car.

Mark

Comment

Hey those blinds look awesome!!! At least he car didn't die on the interstate or somewhere far far away, AND a lot of folks saw the Stude!

Comment

Sorry about your bad luck at Bellefonte.

I was going to drive up for the Bellefonte show today, but given the temperature forecast and the typical congestion in the town, I think that I'll opt out. There's a local cruise-in at Derry Park here in Lewistown this evening, on the grass with shade. That sounds like a better plan.

On July 10, there is a nice local show here in Lewistown. Folks here don't often get to see a Studebaker, though.

BTW, I see that the annual "Last Cruise" in Boalsburg has been moved back to the Military Museum venue on July 24. www.lastcruisestatecollege.com
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

Turns out the pump is not bad. Culprit was a hot day, idling in traffic and ethanol fuel.
            A reputable Rolls Royce mechanic recommends, if I can not fill up with non-ethanol, I add four ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to each fill-up to increase the evaporative temperature of the fuel, with the added benefit of top end cleansing and lubrication.

What can it hurt?

Jim,
            There's no shade at the Military Museum but it is a superb venue; site of the 1981 Atlantic Zone Meet.
            Two of the BB-38 guns from the USS Pennsylvania that survived Pearl Harbor have been installed on the grounds and are pretty impressive.

Across the street from the PAMIL is the Christopher Columbus Family Chapel, which was disassembled from the explorer's family castle in Spain and reassembled intact on the grounds of the Boal estate.

I think I'll be there this year.
            Last edited by rockne10; 06-20-2010, 02:37 PM.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
            X