Power Steering problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Steering problem

Wow! I was sooooo proud, I just installed the Bendix power steering assist unit on my 58 President. It worked for about 5 minutes! I haven't been able to reach the vendor I purchased it from yet, but they are really nice people, Myers Studebaker. What a bear to install. I can tell you that if you are not up to a challenge don't try this at home. Once we got it all installed I filled the pump with fluid started the car for 5 seconds. Refilled the pump and bled a line at the piston, really just checked to see if there was fluid there and there was. I then drove the car to the gas station about 1/2 mile checked the fluid again and the level was fine. Got back to the garage and lost my P/S. No leaks, fluid still high in resevoir but no P/S. Do any of you have any advice? I know I have to call Myers back again but just thought I would try here since I can't get them now. Thank you Jim R
    Jim Rostron

It just needs the air bleed out Jim! The pump has too much air in it.

The way it is done is when servicing any of the the three units, to flush the system with the RETURN hose removed from the Reservoir in a container and the cover off to fill as you pump it out with Engine running at a slow idle. Also to turn full Left and full Right under load (COVER ON) to remove air. It should be fine when all of the Air is out.
    Some of this is in the Shop Manual.

If that fails and you bought a USED setup, the Control valve may need rebuilding, I am pretty sure a used unit cannot be guaranteed to work 100%.
    Last edited by StudeRich; 06-18-2010, 06:39 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

P/S problem

Hey studerich, thank you. You don't think that with the P/S working for a short while all the air was out? I'm going to try what you said but..... with all I did I really thought all the air was out????
      Jim Rostron

Comment

Working...
      X