Fuel issues - carb?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel issues - carb?

So last year I put a rebuilt WCFB on Barney (proper Stude tag number, from a '57 President). Car runs well, idles smooth, but I have some problems.

* Poor gas mileage. Around 8.5 - 9 MPG. Engine has 400 miles on rebuild, with new coil, plugs, wires, newly rebuilt Delco distributor.

* Light but noticeable fuel smell in the passenger compartment after running at speed (say, 60 MPH on the freeway) for a period of time. Noticeable even with the windows open.

* Increasingly harder first-of-the-day starts as the weather has warmed up. In milder weather, the car starts within a couple of seconds and warms up fine; as the weather's gotten hotter, the engine will catch briefly as the starter spins, then the starter will disengage without the engine firing. Takes several tries to get going.

* After warm, engine starts easily.

* A little "poom. poom" audible in the exhaust during high-idle warmup. Not a miss, audible only from the exhaust and not in the engine room.

* If I floor the throttle, the engine bogs.

What do I need to look for? Pinholes in the fuel lines? Wrong metering rods in the carb? Mixture screws set wrong? Help is much appreciated.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Keep it real basic at first.
    1) Set the dwell with a dwell meter.
    2) Set the timing with a setback timing light (to check to see if the vacuum advance is working)
    3) Adjust the carb idle circuit with a vacuum gauge for highest vacuum reading.
    4) Adjust the idle RPM (in drive if a/t equipped, and with a/c on if so equipped)
    (All the spec's are in the good book)

Then start looking for gremlins, like float setting, fuel pump pressure, and fuel volume, etc.
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Clark, when the engine is cold (or as cool as it gets there in the Morning!) remove the air cleaner, give the throttle a light tap and observe the choke opening or lack thereof, PART of your problem could be the choke setting, it should be slightly open, and then after a short warm-up, fully open. I think it is over choked. Heat riser in place and working freely?

Some of this condition may be caused by the Alcohol Mix Fuel evaporating in the warmer weather causing a hard (dry) start.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Float level too high could account for the poor mileage. I reset my Stromberg WW to 1/32" BELOW factory spec and it drastically improved running.
        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
        X