Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for 55 Commander or President Hardtop...but what trim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for 55 Commander or President Hardtop...but what trim?

I am shopping for a 55 Commander... or President Hardtop. I have seen several with the two-toning that has the roof and trunk painted the second color with a dividing strip behind the door. I would prefer the two-toning with the roof and lower body one color and the hood/trunk and upper body the other... or the roof one color and the entire body the other. I used to think that the President had one style and the Commander the other... but I guess I'm mistaken (or owners have modified their cars). Is there a technical way to refer to one two-tone treatment verses the other? I am also discouraged with what I am finding available on-line as the prices seem to be quite a bit higher than what the price guides say they should be. Anyone know of a nice rust free condition 2 or 3 Hardtop that needs a good home?
    Fosco
    Las Vegas Nevada

sigpic

I may be mistaken but I think this is the early 2-tone version (before the Vista View windshield)

Click image for larger version

Name:	early.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	1662338

and this is the later type.

Name:	late1.jpg
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	1662339

I think it had nothing to do with model, only date of manufacture. Altho the Speedster, because of the roof "halo" had a slightly different 2-tone style.

Name:	paint1.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	1662340

John
    Last edited by Johnnywiffer; 06-18-2010, 05:33 AM.

Comment

Yes. What a beauty.

The early style is exactly what I am looking for. The lines flow so nice when painted that way. So if I understand correctly, it's not a matter of trim level but a mid year change over. I also once had a 55 Hardtop that had only the roof in a second color... but it been repainted so I don't know how it was supposed to look. Thank You.
      Fosco
      Las Vegas Nevada

sigpic

Comment

I thought on the President Speedster, it was the South Bend vs Los Angeles difference, I wonder if it followed through to the Commander/Presidents?

Back to Fred Fox's 1955 or Speedster Issue Turning Wheels I guess! Who's got a copy of the Index?

For cars like 1955's that I have never owned, my memory is a bit foggy!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

If you want factory original you have some searching to do. If you want to put your own paint scheme on a car, I have a spare set of paint divider stainless. They come up on eBay pretty often, too. Hope you find the car you want!
          Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Working...
          X