PDA

View Full Version : Body parts for a '56 Golden Hawk

romanusantiqus
06-17-2010, 08:33 PM
Are body parts for a '56 Golden Hawk hard to find? Thanks!

Welcome
06-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Are body parts for a '56 Golden Hawk hard to find? Thanks!

About any question you can think of concerning '56 Golden Hawks can be answered by spending some quality time at: http://www.1956goldenhawk.com/
:o

PackardV8
06-17-2010, 09:16 PM
Yes, good quality body parts are as hard to find for a '56 Golden Hawk as for any fifty-five year old car. There are some one-year only trim pieces which are VERY hard to find.
No, restorable body parts are not impossible to find. Most of the sheet metal interchanges with '53-61 coupes and hardtops. There are some changes to the doors, but in general, they are available at a price.
Maybe, you should be more specific about what you think you may need. The major floor patch panels are available in reproductions.

thnx, jack vines

romanusantiqus
06-18-2010, 12:55 AM
Dear PackardV8,
I am in the process of buying a '56 Golden Hawk. I want to be sure that parts for it(body,engine,transmission,etc.) will not be any harder to find,or more expensive,than for a '57 or '58 Golden Hawk. Thanks!
romanusantiqus

bondobilly
06-18-2010, 06:31 PM
At the meet in Lancaster I was able to buy two freshly chromed check marks for $200, and the hardest body/trim parts to get are back up lights. Getting a correct fiberboard headliner will be a chore as the re-pro ones have the holes facing the wrong direction and there is no cut out for a dome light. Whatever you do try an avoid removing the trim strip between trunk and fin. You can very easily screw them up. Instruments will run you anywhere from $45 to $65 and the speedometer and tachometer could cost you a $250 to $350.

Side grilles just sold for $811 plus $41 shipping on E-bay. Studebaker International just reproduced the tail lights but he only made 50 sets, so I would grab a set now. The Shrock Brothers will sell you a new reproduced steering wheel for around $700 but they will need your core.

Wheel covers have been reproduced if you want the ones with the gold center, and the correct tail pipe extensions have just been reproduced.

One saving grace is that you can use most front fenders with their aprons on a 56J and rear quarters can be used from 53-64 as nobody will see the difference in the last three inched where the tail lights go.

You keep asking about the 56 vs. the 57-58's. Finding a 58 can be a challenge but once the hurdle is crossed the cars except for engine and drive train are identical, save the fins. That said the 56J has more one year only parts, but as I said about engines, once you get into it the cost difference would be about $2000.00 to $2500.00 more to do a 56J. BUT........which ever year you pick you really have to LOVE the car, no matter what year.

If the doors on your car do not droop or require lifting to open and close, do not remove any rubber body mounts, especially if the side windows align. The flippers for the windows will run about $300 refurbished more if NOS.

I have been driving my 56J since 1992 and love it.

BG

Bo Markham
06-18-2010, 08:46 PM
Warehouse full of NOS and used parts. Everything you will need to restore a 56 Golden Hawk, including the Golden Hawk.

romanusantiqus
06-18-2010, 09:34 PM
I am new to a lot of this. What does NOS stand for? Thanks

sbca96
06-18-2010, 09:38 PM
New Old Stock

I would think the one year only short fins would be the rarest '56 Golden Hawk part.

Tom

bondobilly
06-18-2010, 10:35 PM
56J fins must be grown on farms. When the Hawk had that fire in 2005 I was sent two pair by unknown folks and I had just ordered a pair. However, you need to see how they were originally mounted on the donor car unless they were NOS. I have seen them where they were just pulled off the body without removing the stainless trim, screwed on, and even Bondo'd on. BUT fins are available.

BG

Welcome
06-19-2010, 08:40 AM
Dear PackardV8,
I am in the process of buying a '56 Golden Hawk. I want to be sure that parts for it(body,engine,transmission,etc.) will not be any harder to find,or more expensive,than for a '57 or '58 Golden Hawk. Thanks!
romanusantiqus

Perhaps we could adress your concerns better if we knew more details about this 56J you are in the process of buying.

Like: Is it a fully restored car with your concerns centered around obtaining parts for future maintenance, and such? ...OR will it require a full restoration? ...OR some condition in between?

TIA

woodysrods
06-19-2010, 11:57 AM
I have a set of original used 56 Golden Hawk fins purchased on e-bay a couple of years ago. I plan to fabricate my own steel fins for my 56 project. Upon completion of this undertaking I will consider parting with the fiberglass 56 fins I have.
Good Roads
Brian

52-fan
06-19-2010, 01:56 PM
I am new to a lot of this. What does NOS stand for? Thanks

NOS stands for New Old Stock. That means the parts are unused original parts for that car as opposed to reproduction or rebuilt parts. Many people try to find NOS parts because they fit as the factory intended. Some reproduction parts are excellent copies of the original and some are very difficult to make fit.

jbwhttail
06-19-2010, 06:16 PM
All of the parts be it mechnical or body/chassis are available. When I restored my 56J it was as much fun chasing parts as it was doing the restoration. I was able to purchase a NOS right front fender with apron pre drilled for the stainless and turn signals, you just have to look and do your homework. I purchased all four fenders and a deck lid, no problem............... all it takes is pictures of presidents past......