Seattle City Lark-1960

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle City Lark-1960

Here's a cool photo of street work in Seattle in 1960. The view is fourth avenue looking north. The Lark is a city vehicle, note the "D" prefix on the license. This area is mostly modern hi=-rises now!

Hey Bruce, Was that picture from Seattle Municipal Archives? The Police had some Larks with 6 cyl. and automatic that had a hard time getting up James Street with a couple of detectives in the car.

Comment

My daughter, who is a Seattle Police Officer and patrols this same area, says the first cross street seen is either Columbia or Cherry - she thinks it's Columbia. About the only thing recongnizable is the First United Methodist Church which was at 5th Ave and Marion St. The Seattle Times has an article each week that posts historical photos and I've seen several that contain Studebakers, specifically City vehicles. Thanks for posting.

Comment

The photo is actually at 4th and Columbia. Columbia Center is now on the Northeast corner. The Rainier Club is the ornate building further north. City Hall was south of the Columbia Center on the east side of the street. The corner is totally different now although the Rainier Club is still there.

Comment

As I look at that photo now I think, man did some of the city really look that old when I was young, yes it did. That was when the Smith Tower was the tallest building in Seattle. Yes., there were lots of government Studebakers runnning around the place during that era.
          Dean

CLEM

Comment

Originally posted by Don Kelstrom View Post
            Hey Bruce, Was that picture from Seattle Municipal Archives? The Police had some Larks with 6 cyl. and automatic that had a hard time getting up James Street with a couple of detectives in the car.
            Yes, this is from the Seattle Muni. archives, some really cool stuff shows up there!!!

Comment

Working...
            X