Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye cabbage: Rotting in a field

Chris Dresbach

That picture could not have been taken to long after 1962. Love to find a yard like that today.
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Originally posted by woodysrods View Post
      That picture could not have been taken to long after 1962. Love to find a yard like that today.
      Good Roads
      Brian
      Look at this place http://www.windyhillautoparts.com/ I was just there a week a go at least 15 Stude's in a row for the picking. Let me know Brian I'd be glad to take you on a junk yard trip. I know another one with a few less Studes but it has a lot more of 55 and up cars.
      CHeck out these pictures from the yard. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...9&l=ae62284c7b
      I have a 1950 4 door Commander a 51 land cruiser And a 52 Champion
      sigpic
      I'll Tattoo you anytime!
      And you can find me at....

New Shop Name Same tattoo shop
      Crazy Lady Ink
      Shakopee Mn.
      952-445-3281
      27 years in the tattooing biz

Comment

Love those pictures! I fell in love with 2 of the cars, though. That '50? business coupe, and that '58 commander!
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Hey, someone snatch one of those left back up lights off of one of the 63 Larks I saw.
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1958 Commander "Christine"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

Wow Edsel, quite a yard there! Around here those yards have long since disappeared, with the exception of one called Horner's Automotive. It's a large yard dealing in modern vehicles and repairs, but the owner, Jim Horner, has a soft spot for oldies; so if you go into the yard you have to walk/drive past a few hundred 30s-70s cars to get to the modern ones. It's an amazing place really, and only about a half-hour from me. You remind me I'm overdue for a walk-through of that place

Comment

That looks to be a '62 Ford sitting next to the 47-49 Champion

Mr. Bill
              Hamlet, NC

Comment

Edsel, thanks for the pictures of Windy Hill. Back in the late 1970's I lived in Grand Forks N.D. and would drive down through Wapaton SD headed to Madison to see my Grandfather. I remember on the old road that there wasa line up of Studebakers at a corner wayside and stopped to inquire. The guy there said that the Studebakers were headed to the Windy Hill junk yard. That was my first encounter. Never have gone to the yard, however.

Later in 1981 I was looking for some venitian blinds for my Starlight Coupe. I called Windy Hill they said they had them and I ordered them, $35 including shipping. Upon receipt they were for a 2 door or 4 door and since I did nto have that car, I sent them back. Should've kept them for later re-sale or trade. Oh well. Thanks for the memories.

Mark

Comment

There are hundreds of private "junk" yards that have vintage cars, and only vintage cars, in them. I can think of one on Interstate 15 on the way from Salt Lake City to Wyoming.
                  I have never gone in that one, but I have stood outside with binoculars. Latest cars were 1970's.
                  I visited one in Beulah North Dakota too. All I took were photos. I didn't buy any parts, but there must have been 2000 cars there. Mostly he will sell whole cars to a good home, not parts.
                  These private car yards are owned by individual collectors (some people call them hoarders) and are never open to the public, but are usually open to members of the clubs that the individuals belong to, by appointment only.

I can think of another one in Mariposa Arizona.
                  It has about 200 cars spread on many acres--the first 10 acres or so being in the owner's back yard.
                  The other acres are in all the neighbor's back yards.
                  When I asked her about that she explained that once upon a time, a long time ago, some neighbor complained about her car collection.
                  So, when he decided to move away, she bought his property. And the next property that came up for sale, and the next one. She now owns her whole block.
                  She rents out the homes and puts a few cars along the very back edge of each tract. Every home gets a token one or two, even if she doesn't need their acres for storage.
                  Her explanation was that they know it is there before they move in, and if they make an issue of it, she can evict them.
                  Nobody complains any more!

Comment

Working...
                  X