Anybody used any of this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody used any of this

I think I found some of the paint that I plan on using that is in my price range.Glad I ask some ppl that have some more knowledge about painting and such than I.I've been checking around at some of the different websites and such looking at different paints and primers.I just looked at www.paintforcars.com. somebody mentioned them to me some where along the line.Has anybody used there Trinity 1945 paints with any luck.You can get a kit from them for $73.00 plus shipping.That is well within my price range for paint.That way if I do mess it up I won't cry to bad about it.

I've never used it or heard of it. A while back I was looking for truck bedliner products so I Goggle'd them. I found many websites that compared all the products and had reviews from people that had actually used them. I'd recommend you do the same before you commit to use this product. I'm of the impression that you get what you pay for. If you use it, be sure to let all of us know how it turns out. It might work well for those of us on a tight budget.

Comment

Just be sure the quantities listed are the same for the price.
      Some places are selling paint, and the prices looked great.....
      Until you looked at the container size... A quart is not a quart to them... It's a different can size.
      Same thing with a gallon... Theirs is about 3/4 of a gallon.
      So the price by the fluid ounce is about the same..
      (They learned from the ice cream guys)
      Jeff
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I looked at their frequently asked questions and their answers seem solid. However, I didn't really study the site. (also it might have something to do with my reading comprehension ability) You will be limited to their standard colors. I did not find any mention of shipping charges or a physical "store front" location. So, I would determine their actual cost per gallon, (including shipping). Then find a local supplier and compare apples to apples on the same quality paint. If you go to their products list, you will notice that the price varies with color. When I first got into the business, I was unaware that pigments had such an influence on the cost. Regardless of the paint you choose, if you manage to get paint "all over the car" it will be better than it is now. You will be more experienced and better equipped for the "next" project!
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by hopsBB View Post
          I think I found some of the paint that I plan on using that is in my price range.Glad I ask some ppl that have some more knowledge about painting and such than I.I've been checking around at some of the different websites and such looking at different paints and primers.I just looked at www.paintforcars.com. somebody mentioned them to me some where along the line.Has anybody used there Trinity 1945 paints with any luck.You can get a kit from them for $73.00 plus shipping.That is well within my price range for paint.That way if I do mess it up I won't cry to bad about it.
          I've used the cheap paint from several ebay suppliers and it worked fine. Might not be the same quality or durability, but never kept the cars I painted long enough to check. Just look here on ebay for auto paint and pick a color.

eBay Motors makes it easy to find parts for cars, trucks, SUVs, motorcycles & more. We even offer a massive selection of new & pre-owned classics, hot rods, exotics, vans, ATVs, RVs, boats and more at eBay Motors. Shop for your next vehicle, or start selling in a marketplace with 171 million buyers.
          JDP Maryland

Comment

I went out checking today to see if I could find any primer and paint locally.Only one store around here sold any kind of primer other than spray bombs.The only kind of paint they could order was just tractor/equipment enamel.So what ever I get will have to be from online,but if anyone wants to paint anything John Deer Green or Ford blue just give me a call cause we got that stuff by the truck load around here

Comment

No one seems to be able to answer the question of can you put an etching primer over bodywork?If not then what do you put over it?Some ppl told me today that it is to hot to put over bondo.Anybody got any answer to this.

Comment

One of the things topics like this can do is demonstrate the many variations to archiving the same goal. And of course, a huge difference of opinions. If you are going to strip to bare metal, just get a can of metal prep, which is usually some type of phosphate based material that will clean and etch for best adhesion. When you wash it off, you will probably have a moment of panic as it immediately appears to "flash rust" before your eyes. However, it will be just fine as long as you apply a good primer as soon as it dries. If you are going to go the route of the website you posted, use their recommended primer for the topcoat you choose. If your metal has scratches a gouges, they might recommend a "High Build Sandable Primer." That will be a primer made to fill and hide the scratches. It sands easy without loading and gumming up your sandpaper. Really, I think you need to decide on what the cheapest stuff you want to use, buy it and just have at it. They encourage phone calls, so a call might nail down a finishing package from start to finish.
                Last edited by jclary; 06-14-2010, 05:46 PM.
                John Clary
                Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Just keep in mind, in paint there's a reason for the price difference between brand name and cut-rate. I could never recommend or encourage others to buy unknown quality, but it might be ok. You have to decide if you want to risk the money- and all that work- to find out. Heck, there are websites where people actually try to sell a brush-paint job as a quality alternative

When I was in collision tech school, there was a sign on the wall that always stuck with me, 30+ years and counting: Why is there never time to do a job right, but always time to do it over?

Food for thought. If you do go with the above-mentioned paint, do let us know how it works out, and give us an update after a year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by hopsBB View Post
                    I went out checking today to see if I could find any primer and paint locally.Only one store around here sold any kind of primer other than spray bombs./Cut/
                    You need to go into the "Big" City and get your Paint Prices from an Automotive Paint Store, KMart won't do !
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Etching primer is made for bare metal, but it will stick to plastic filler. BUT, why waste it? Use a good high build 2 part polyester primer, then a guide coat (spray bomb black) to put a light mist coat on then block it all down. The guide coat will show the low areas.

Jim
                      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                      their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
                      X