PDA

View Full Version : Saw a modified '48 pick'em up truck at a show today...

Gunslinger
06-13-2010, 07:15 PM
I was at a car show in Taneytown, MD today with my '70 Avanti and saw this modified '48 Stude pickup. I didn't see the owner so I don't know if he's an SDC member...it had PA tags on it. Though the hood was not opened, the placard said it had a 455 Pontiac under the hood.

Nelsen Motorsports
06-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Ugh. Why? Why? Do you need the rectangular headlights?

Collection Doctor
06-13-2010, 09:22 PM
He may have somehow gotten it titled as a 1948 for the purposes of participating in car shows, but the 2R series of trucks was not introduced until the 1949 model year. They were introduced fairly early in the year so many were sold in 1948, but it is a 1949 or later model year truck.

JRoberts
06-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Boy, there has a been a lot work put into that truck.

woodysrods
06-14-2010, 12:46 AM
Sometimes you can just miss it!
Good Roads
Brian

bams50
06-14-2010, 05:24 AM
My guess is the guy that spent the money and/or did the work likes it. I'll also guess that if he reads snippy comments from those who don't like it he might be disappointed and decide the Stude world should go to he--. Just my guess.

Invalid User Name
06-14-2010, 05:54 AM

I'm old enought to remember when rectangular head lights were "new". You were cool if your car had the rectangular headlights. This truck was maybe modified during that period and was cutting edge cool. Never the less, it shows great workmanship and I will be glad to make a place in my garage for it if the owner ever decides he is tired of it.

sasquatch
06-14-2010, 10:59 AM
I want the orange Henry J in the background.

52-fan
06-14-2010, 11:47 AM
A ton of work in the truck. I like mine a bit more stock, but I don't have to like it to appreciate the effort. Lots of NSRA guys used to call their R series and 49-51 Studebaker cars 48 models to get in the street rod shows. It's not a problem except that then the new folks think that that is the correct year.
If you look at the interior it is obvious that the owner is either very short or does not drive the truck much. Most bucket seats have enough slope to the back that they eat up the already precious leg room in an R cab and the front edge of those seats look very close to the slope of the floor.

Nelsen Motorsports
06-14-2010, 12:01 PM
The truck is beautiful. Just from my point of view, I wouldn't build any hotrod with rectangular headlights besides something that had them from the factory. The truck is nice and done right and I dig the Pontiac drivetrain, but I don't like rectangular headlights.

COMMANDERPINK1
06-14-2010, 12:50 PM

DITTO

Tom

DEEPNHOCK
06-14-2010, 12:50 PM
OK... How does he open the hood?
Is that welded up steel, or fiberglass?
Either way, that snoot looks HEAVY....
Jeff:cool:

Pat Dilling
06-14-2010, 01:12 PM
I'm thinking it is probably a one piece front end the flips forward. Lots of work in that truck and the paint is gorgeous, I like the color. I have to agree with folks on the headlights though, everything thing on the truck has smooth curves and rounded edges. The sharp 90 degree corners on the headlights seem to contradict the scheme.

Pat

Gunslinger
06-14-2010, 02:27 PM
As I said, I never saw the owner and never saw the engine on display though I kept an eye on it. To my eye, while the quality of the work appeared quite good, it seemed on the heavy handed side styling-wise. Again...to my eye and my opinion. The owner or whomever originally had the work performed must have wanted it the way it is.

It was his truck and his money. He only has himself to make happy so I'm content that another Studebaker may have been saved from the scrapper in that was the alternative.

1954khardtop
06-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. You have to admire the workmanship. I've heard some states titled cars the year they were sold, maybe this one was titled fall of '48.