bellhousing dial in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bellhousing dial in

I am finishing up the engine rebuild on our 64 GT, we are switching from the automatic to stock 4 speed so I need to check the runout on the new bellhousing. Can anyone tell me what is an acceptable runout? I have the dial indicator mounted on an adapter connected to the crank and I am checking the settings at 90 degree increments.

Thanks , Mark

Try to get it to .001, i did. I think you could get away with .002 or .0025, beyond that I'd be concerned. I did mine standing on the front end so there was no gravity effect on the indicator. I turned it with a flywheel wrench.
    Last edited by Tom Bredehoft; 06-13-2010, 02:23 PM. Reason: Correct typo

Comment

Tom, I have the motor out and on a - pallet jack engine stand- and turning the crank with the front crankshaft bolt. I do not have the flywheel installed yet. I cut a piece of angle iron long enough to bolt to the end of the crank and welded a perpendecular dial indicator support bar to it. I did lightly sand the ID of the bellhousing hole to smooth out rough spots and paint.
      With the stock dowel pins my dial indicator will vary about .005 in 360 degrees.
      What size dowel pins did you use to reset the bellhousing?

Thank you , Mark

Comment

I intimately used 1/4 inch roll pins.

My reasoning for standing the engine on end is that I have yet to find an indicator that won't react to gravity, as much as .020 up to down. Mount your indicator rigidly to a steel bar, with the tip on the bar, holding the bar in a horizontal position, with the indicator under the bar, set zero, then rotate the bar about its own axis and watch the dial move. With the crank vertical, the indicator won't do this.

Just my experience. At one time I had to indicate a boring head to a fixture. I made a six inch extension to the 8 inch bearings, machined a cavity in the end of the bar so there was no possibility of movement, and found .004 drop in the indicator. Its internals were reacting to gravity.

Comment

Working...
        X