Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jay Leno Does 'Break Job' on a Scotsman Pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jay Leno Does 'Break Job' on a Scotsman Pickup?

This quote was on the tail end of an article sent to my e-mail.....
    (Of note is that is a music oriented e-mail, and the writer obviously never worked on a car before)
    Jeff

(copy)
    In other news, Jay Leno
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

no kidding...?

How odd. Last night he and Tim Allen talked
    a bit about Tim's "new" Studebaker truck!!!
    I think he said it was a '38...
    StudeDave '57
    US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
    SDC Member since 1985

past President
    Whatcom County Chapter SDC
    San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
    San Diego Chapter SDC
    North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Just in case I miss it...how about any of you guys that see it report back about what they actually do to the brakes. Will they do an actual "brake job" or "brake modification?" If they do a real brake job, I want to see their sequence of repairs and especially the technique of "final adjustments." Although many makes of cars used the same manufacturer to produce the brake components, I have found that the technique and sequence of adjustment is very important to getting a Studebaker's brakes to perform well. For some reason, the folks that work mostly on brand X's have a more difficult time. Even as a kid and had never ridden in a Studebaker, I heard adults make disparaging comments about Studebaker brakes. I was taught how to adjust brakes on GM and Ford products and using the same techniques on Studebakers with unsatisfactory results. It wasn't until I finally read the shop manual and listened to some good advice from an old lifetime Studebaker mechanic (no longer with us) that I began to get the expected results.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

It really aint that hard to get great brakes and the technique can be used for newer vehicles. THe main thing is that you adjust out the shoes with the cams or starwheels which ever you have before you blead them. I even manually adjust automatic adjusters that way the shoes are out against the drums like they are supposed to be and the brake pedal is firm and at the right height first off.
        If you car is ugly then it better be fast.....

65 2dr sedan
        64 2dr sedan (Pinkie)
        61 V8 Tcab
        63 Tcab 20R powered
        55 Commander Wagon
        54 Champion Wagon
        46 Gibson Model A
        50 JD MC
        45 Agricat
        67 Triumph T100
        66 Bultaco Matadore

Comment