Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clutch work this weekend....dilemma ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch work this weekend....dilemma ????

63' Cruiser-289-3sp-OD-10 years outside-78K original miles-everything works-clutch stuck-undercarriage=yuck-winter beater-future 6 cyl 2dr wagon transplant.....

I've got the car in the air on stands. The T-O operating shaft is frozen on the left outer bushing (at least). Th zerk takes grease, rusty grease. The whole car is very rusty including a stuck OD cable with pulled off handle and stuck bleed screws. The clutch adjusting rod is bent (3/8th fine thread) from someone trying to force the pedal. Engine runs great, brakes are up and the exhaust is fine. 5 new F-78 tubed tires around it.....

I have the tranny ready for dropping...here comes my CASO thought. Should I simply try to loosen the shaft and once loosened, put everything back together and see how she runs.....? I do have a new T-O brg coming (THX Matt B), and will need to replace the bent rod. Or start digging into the works including new pilot brg, P-plate, disc, etc...What am I looking at roughly in costs ? Aside from my usaul sources, does anyone here have all those parts (NOS)...and do I want NOS parts (i.e. NOS asbestos). If I go the CASO route, will I likely have some operating problems, and what might they be....? THX...(I do like the new pages here)

If it were mine, I'd loosen up everything and see how she runs. In the long run, you'll have to replace everything. However, as JMK said, "In the long run, we're all dead." Many Studes have died because the new owner got excited, pulled everything apart, got overwhelmed by the cost and time involved and never got it back together or got to drive it.

The good news is clutch parts are ubiquitous. Stude used generic disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing. Any city of any size has a clutch and brake shop which can match up your disc and pressure plate and even give you a heavy duty unit if you plan to race or tow. However, I've pulled apart one or two which didn't need either. Hint - if you have it completely apart for new, get the flywheel resurfaced. Worth the money every time.

thnx, jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
    X