Orphan of the day- Packard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orphan of the day- Packard

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Wit that particular grill this looks like the merging of the old and the then new. Very interesting, and in a strange sort of way atractive, automobile.
    Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Ive never seen one with that body and that grill. Is it a real production Packard or a prototype? Thanks, Steve
      sigpic

Comment

Please, yuck.
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The dagmars don't do it for me, but I like the grille treatment.

Terry

Comment

Prototype and much better looking, IMHO, than the production '56 Packards.

thnx, jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Yeah i thought so too.
              101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Its just not any old Packard, that is the Packard Request - a styling excerise undertaken to see how a traditional Packard grille would look mated to the (then) current (1955?) Packard of the time. I believe that the body was an off white with a dark brown metallic, and the project was authorized by Nance himself. The car was thought to be cut up years ago Packard destroyed its styling excerises like many other Detroit companies. Collectible Automobile did a story on it back in the mid 1980s (I think).
                Last edited by stude62; 06-11-2010, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Can't agree with you on that one. I used to own a '56 Executive and it looked much more refined than that prototype in the pic.

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  Prototype and much better looking, IMHO, than the production '56 Packards.

thnx, jack vines

Comment

The request is owned by a New Jersey collector named Ralph Marano - see this link - http://classiccars.about.com/b/2009/...ncept-cars.htm
                    There was a similar vehicle called Black Bess a 1957 concept that was cut up, Nance told the guy to do it and then afterwards said "what have you done, I meant that one!!!" the guy nearly killed him LOL.
                    John Clements
                    Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

I just LOVE this car! I aways wish I could reproduce this car if I had the $$$$$$ take a 56 Packard and I would be able to fill my request.

Comment

Working...
                      X