Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where did the rest of my tech article go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did the rest of my tech article go?

This is a little disheartening, after that much effort, its gone? I wonder how
    many other threads of affected? I hope that SDC kept a backup of the data
    and can restore it later??

I am not 100% sure, maybe others can remember, but didnt I finish the pump
    rebuild thread, with all the assembly and then mounting on the car?? I know
    I took pictures of the painted unit and which rubber gaskets go where on the
    lid. If thats correct, how many other vital threads are damaged?

I need to check the TKO thread.

I asked before, and will again, can WE please create an area in the tech
    forum for involved "how to" threads like the ones I create? Then a backup
    can be made of that area separately. There is an EXTREME amount of work
    that goes into the creation of these threads.

Tom
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

I don not remember the pump being mounted on the car...or pics thereof...

Comment

Did you read it from the start? When I first put it up? I went to Bobs tech page and
      the link doesnt work to the stuff he transfered over, anyone else getting "forbidden"

Tom
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

I'm sure it's just another bug to be worked out of the new forum. You know, like taking that ground-up resto out for it's first drive and finding out you forgot to tighten that tranny line

I'm guessing Mr. Shaw has been working steadily on these odds and ends. Just add it to his list

Comment

The TKO thread is safe.

BTW, to any of you that saved the links (I got an email already asking where
          one of the articles went) they are all different after the forum upgrade, but
          the search function works 100 times better, so just pick a few key words and
          my screen name, check "exact" and click search.

Tom

Comment

Maybe I didnt finish it, but I could sware I did, I need to contact Bob and get him
            to fix the link on his page so I can see if there is more info after page 2.

Tom

Comment

no...I pulled it up sometime in the last year with a posting here on the "old" forum and here on the new...

Comment

It was complete, I found the text file with the rest of the rebuild, the links are of my old
                photo locations, before AOL dumped the FTP. How frustrating, is there a 'Mod' reading
                this thread? This needs looking into.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by bams50 View Post
                  I'm sure it's just another bug to be worked out of the new forum. You know, like taking that ground-up resto out for it's first drive and finding out you forgot to tighten that tranny line

I'm guessing Mr. Shaw has been working steadily on these odds and ends. Just add it to his list
                  BAMS,

I fail to see the purpose of this response (or the many others like it that you post). As far as I am aware, you have no active involvement with the design, maintenance or upkeep of this forum and thus any response regarding those type of issues is mere conjecture on your part. The operative word from your response is "guessing". Rather than "guessing", why not let the individuals that are knowledgeable on the subject provide their thoughts? That way only factual information is disseminated and much useless chatter is eliminated.

Comment

My question is why was the thread started at all?
                    Wouldn't it have been better to contact Bob Shaw directly, and ask him?
                    That's a stretch on my part, because I do not know if, in fact, this happened.
                    But it would have been more polite to at least allow Bob Shaw to look at it and fix it before tossing it on the forum.
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I was asking for input, because I DID NOT REMEMBER if I had completed it or not.
                      I know that one or two of the series I had not completed, the ram and hoses. The
                      Q & A thread got the most info. It was a couple years ago now, so I had to ask.

Tom

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                      My question is why was the thread started at all?
                      Wouldn't it have been better to contact Bob Shaw directly, and ask him?
                      That's a stretch on my part, because I do not know if, in fact, this happened.
                      But it would have been more polite to at least allow Bob Shaw to look at it and fix it before tossing it on the forum.
                      Last edited by sbca96; 06-11-2010, 01:21 PM. Reason: Softening up the response

Comment

The original thread is still open so you can finish it up at your convenience.

Comment

You are kinda missing the point, try putting a tech article together, do the work
                          while taking documenting CLEAR pictures showing step by step, and then put it
                          all into a forum thread, complete with text and and see how long that takes. It
                          is something that I dont want to do twice. It is only by luck that I saved a text
                          file of the thread, I dont do that for each one I do. The fear is that one of the
                          other ones I have done, now lacks a second, 3rd or fourth page? See the fear?

I guess, unless you took the time to put one together, its hard to comprehend
                          the effort, and the frustration when it disappears.

Tom

Originally posted by Cravin View Post
                          The original thread is still open so you can finish it up at your convenience.

Comment

Thanks Tom for taking the time and effort to make your how-to threads. I dont think anything that didnt make the jump to the new forum is recoverable as it was posted in the old forums.
                            I remember when you edited all your broken links in those threads when your photo server went offline.

There are alot of hidden treasures on here that have bad or unrelated titles but with very good tech info.

Perhaps we can better organize this info. I'll keep on this.

Patrick

Comment

Such is the life of a tech writer.
                              Since it is your tech article, it is up to you to create, provide, and...protect your work.
                              Dumping it onto a forum (over time) is not without peril (as you have found out).
                              Lashing out at others does not help your project.
                              The tech articles are very good, and worthwhile.
                              You should save them on your end, so you can share them when, and where, you want to.
                              A lot of people here have prepared hundreds of tech articles, photo essays, and step by step threads.
                              You aren't the first to lose stuff (and won't be the last).
                              I feel for ya' Tom.
                              Now just get on with it.
                              BTW - What did Bob Shaw say to your request for help?
                              Jeff

Originally posted by sbca96 View Post
                              You are kinda missing the point, try putting a tech article together, do the work
                              while taking documenting CLEAR pictures showing step by step, and then put it
                              all into a forum thread, complete with text and and see how long that takes. It
                              is something that I dont want to do twice. It is only by luck that I saved a text
                              file of the thread, I dont do that for each one I do. The fear is that one of the
                              other ones I have done, now lacks a second, 3rd or fourth page? See the fear?

I guess, unless you took the time to put one together, its hard to comprehend
                              the effort, and the frustration when it disappears.

Tom
                              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                              X