Picked up 1954 Studebaker Dealer banners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Picked up 1954 Studebaker Dealer banners

Pick up some Original 1954 Studebaker Dealer showroom banners there not perfect but look good
    The rod has Gold pointed end & Gold tassels & cord, the wind came up while taking the photos

1954 Studebaker The world's safest car

1954 Studebaker World's finest preforming V-8

Those are pretty cool. Never seen them for the 1954 model. I like them! Great find.

Mark

Comment

Really nice!
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Neat banners! I've never seen the first one at all, although I've heard of the second.

Not to quibble too much, but I wonder how they got 'The World's Safest Car' for the 54? I would think that the 51-55 (full size) Kaiser would be, and was, a much safer car in so many different ways: 1) brakes--they are absolutely marvelous and well balanced for non-power drums, and in 52? Tom Cahill? took one from 60 mph to 0 in 160 feet, which is a measure a lot of modern power-disc on radial tire cars can't always match. Power wasn't required, so it wasn't available generally. I think a single handful of special order cars got so equipped. Really, you can't say the same for the brakes of the early 50s Studebakers, although the 54 and after showed some improvement 2) recessed knobs on a very padded dash, all cars, intentional design to prevent injuries 3) huge windows front and rear, bigger than most contemporary cars, and less blind spots. Look at the windshield pillars, like a modern car. 4) bumpers were designed to not lock together like other cars in low speed collisions 5) additional bolsters on the back of front seats (54-55) to help protect rear seat passengers in low speed collisions 6) windshield designed to pop out intact at low pressure impact (25 pounds) to save cuts/decapitation 7) seat belts were available in 53-54, at least on the Darrin. 8) Safety-Glo taillights 54-55. Taillights were designed from 52 to be seen from the side as well as the back, so first side markers. As well, 54-55 had the top of fender extensions that lit up. Almost overkill but very very visible from side, above, back, everywhere. There were a few other items as well. I think it was in 53 that they started advertising the Kaiser as "World's First Safety First car".

Comment

I would say the step down Hudson models were safer.
          64 Champ long bed V8
          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Even though they were already out of business, the Tucker was the world's first car designed with safety in mind.
            Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
            Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
            Lizella, GA

Comment

You have to understand the language of advertising. This is my understanding. The legal assumption is that EVERYONE has the best/finest/safest/prettiest, etc. Then if you can prove your product is BETTER than the others, you can advertise it as BETTER. That means it is, in actuality, BETTER than BEST!

John

Comment

That banner made me think of the crash test Studebaker did at the Proving Ground to make sure the door latches stayed shut.

Here's the post ChrisDresbach started a little while back about it.

John V.

Comment

'54 Crash test.

Oh... Sorry john.
                  Last edited by Chris_Dresbach; 06-09-2010, 06:54 PM. Reason: Didn't look at the post before mine
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

...analyzed for needed improvements...

Better Brakes?

Comment

Sure looks like the hood latch worked! Wonder if there was an engine. If there was, I'll bet the middle front-seat passenger had a lap-full!

John

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post

'54 Crash test.

Oh... Sorry john.
                        Now I have an excuse to drive fast...
                        Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
                        Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
                        Lizella, GA

Comment

Working...
                        X