PDA

View Full Version : A good find I think.

Matttj
06-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Long story short, I looked at this Studebaker a few years back. The body appeared to be in great shape. I later had my dad look at it and he was amazed that the rails had not a single dent in them and the bed was not rusted through. After teasing myself over the next 2 years by stopping and looking at it, my dad offered to go half with me. He has a project underway of his own (Rodding a 48 Ford F-1) but I think he saw that coming into a pickup of that year in the condition it was in for such a low price (only 1200) there was nothing wrong with picking it up and waiting on it for a few years when money and time were a bit more on our sides. So this past memorial day we gave the owner a call. My dad told him we had 1000 cash and to our surprise, because he was so stiff the other times we had discussed price, he took it.

Some of the pics I have arn't uploading properly, but I think you get the idea of what it looks like. Thoughts?

bams50
06-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Good deal and the right call on buying it even if you can't start on it for awhile. As the saying goes, "They don't eat nuthin'!"

Welcome, and keep us posted!

Matttj
06-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Will do. I actually just moved it on sunday. I don't have a garage but my grandparents let me use the one-stall they have. Dropped it off outside and gonna head back this weekend to air the tires and move it in. Also gonna try and get engine and tranny numbers so when I need to start lookin for parts I will hopefully be ready. Though it was nice to hear that when I bought it, it was running a few years ago. Hopefully an oil change and a fresh battery could possibly can revive it, if only to hear it run, and maybe take it around the block.

jclary
06-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Great find! In my opinion, trucks are great for aspiring young restorers. First, they are what I call "honest" vehicles. What I mean by that is that they are simple basic constructed machines. You have a tough frame, basic tough suspension, simple steering, etc. The wiring is basic, and even if you screw up or fall somewhere short of perfection...it is still a "truck" after all and expectations from others are a lot more forgiving than the fancy two door coupes and hotrods. A few well placed bumps with a big rubber hammer and you'll be surprised how quick that top will pop back to resembling its original rounded shape. Looks like it comes with a spare engine lid and even emergency transportation in the bed. Good luck with it and keep us updated on your progress.:)

Jerry Forrester
06-09-2010, 07:12 PM
If I had seen that truck for $1200 before you got there it'd be in MY yard instead of your granny's.
Great deal for $1000. Congratulations!!!

COMMANDERPINK1
06-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Nice find MATTTJ Go easy on that roof panel and youll be surprised at how little body filler it will take to finish it

Tom

58PackardWagon
06-10-2010, 12:19 AM
be sure to check the brakes

jasontaub9
06-10-2010, 12:52 AM
Ditto on checking the brakes. Be sure to use the correct drum pulling tool for the rear axle.

studeclunker
06-10-2010, 02:03 AM
Work on it later my a$$, you bellied up to the bar boy! Git t' work!;):p

LOL, just couldn't help myself! Yeah, right... you're going to work on it later, riiiiiight! I'll bet you can't keep your hands off it for two days straight (LOL)!:D:D:D

Looks like a great project. All the best!:D

DEEPNHOCK
06-10-2010, 07:40 AM
Neat truck...
(and it has alternate transportation included if it breaks down)..:rolleyes:

Being a 3/4 ton truck, be prepared for a stiff ride.
Also, look for a tire supply company that still does lock ring wheels.
They are not 'split rims'. but the wheel lock rings slip off at two detent points on the wheels.
Don't try to mount your own tires with those wheels without a tire cage.
Is your truck equipped with an O/D trans?
If so, great... Take good care of it.
If not, be prepared to have a great 50 mph (tops) truck.
That Timken rear has very few choices for gears, and they are all stout.

I did one just like that (same color) a few years ago.
Most of my money went for kingpins, new front springs, reach rod and all the rod ends, brakes, and wiring.
The engine had already been done.
It was the sweetest running Champ six I had ever seen.....
(Sold that red 2R10 to buy some yellow POS)

Good find! Have fun!
Jeff:cool:

candbstudebakers
06-11-2010, 01:32 AM
Funny how things go I have had a "c" cab long bed 3/4 ton on e-bay 3 times and it does not sell for $300.00 so I guess its time start and make some money with it, one piece at a time. City is on my case again always some thing.

silverhawk
06-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Very nice! Good catch! As a younger stude guy myself, welcome to the madness! :D

warrlaw1
06-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Just imagine that truck coming up from behind you. Check your rearview? Talk about distractions! Keep you eyes on the road and your hands upon the wheel.....

N8N
06-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Funny how things go I have had a "c" cab long bed 3/4 ton on e-bay 3 times and it does not sell for $300.00 so I guess its time start and make some money with it, one piece at a time. City is on my case again always some thing.

The problem is that you're on the wrong coast... I would love to have a 3/4 ton C-cab but your $300 truck would be a $2000 (I assume for the price that it doesn't run) truck by the time it landed in my driveway :(

Matt - what engine is in that truck? I'm ASSuming a flathead six of some sort, if it's the Champion six you got a good deal, if it's the Commander six you are one lucky dog :)

nate

candbstudebakers
06-12-2010, 01:17 AM
Nate, my truck has the commander 245 in it and was running when parked, ever heard that before??

Matttj
06-15-2010, 08:52 AM
The problem is that you're on the wrong coast... I would love to have a 3/4 ton C-cab but your $300 truck would be a $2000 (I assume for the price that it doesn't run) truck by the time it landed in my driveway :(

Matt - what engine is in that truck? I'm ASSuming a flathead six of some sort, if it's the Champion six you got a good deal, if it's the Commander six you are one lucky dog :)

nate

It's got a flathead 6, but have yet to find out what it is. Being a bit new to having something like this (I maintain my 92 Chevy 1500 with a 350, but that's where most my experience is) I don't know much yet, but that is kind of the point of getting it. Good learning experience, good deal, and fun and frustrations to be had. I haven't been back over yet to get #s off the motor or tranny. Won't be doing so this weekend, heading to the MSRA's Back to the 50s with my dad, but when I get back I hope to be finding those numbers and learning a bit from them. When I get more info I will surely let you know. Thanks all the info and input.

studeclunker
06-15-2010, 12:53 PM
It's got a flathead 6, but have yet to find out what it is. Being a bit new to having something like this (I maintain my 92 Chevy 1500 with a 350, but that's where most my experience is) I don't know much yet, but that is kind of the point of getting it. Good learning experience, good deal, and fun and frustrations to be had. I haven't been back over yet to get #s off the motor or tranny. Won't be doing so this weekend, heading to the MSRA's Back to the 50s with my dad, but when I get back I hope to be finding those numbers and learning a bit from them. When I get more info I will surely let you know. Thanks all the info and input.

Matt, I think you will find it easy to identify your motor. First, the numbers you are looking for are stamped not cast, and on the front of the block. There is a milled pad on the forwardmost left-hand side of your motor. This might be covered by years of grunge. On this milled pad are a series of numbers stamped into it. They will identify the type of motor. On our main page (studebakerdriversclub.com) is a sub-page, the Technical Page, that will identify your motor by this number. Very easy. Then again, if you have the shop manual for this year of truck, it too will contain this information.

Matttj
08-09-2010, 05:56 AM
Hey guys, been a while. Finally got the time to get back over and look for the numbers. What I found was: I055345. I found it right where Clunker said it would be, but I can't find anything on it on the technical page matching that. I also dropped the gas tank, pull the battery and removed the radiator. Gonna clean the tank out or buy a new one, clean the radiator out with some water a few times to remove any gunk build-up if there is any. Battery will have to be replaced. I was happy and quite surprised when I started to remove these (Besides the positive cable from the battery) that all the nuts and bolts were easy to remove after initially breaking them loose. Hope I can get some plugs/wires and distributor pretty soon and start replacing some of the basics in hopes of gettin in goin. Also have to do the brakes, but I'd really like to get it to even turn over just to hear it. But I only recently got back and it's late, I'll continue the hunt for that number (hoping it is the correct one) and update when I know more. Thanks

stude53
08-09-2010, 07:37 AM
Hey, Matttj,
Welcome to the Forum. You and Dad snagged a jewel. Good luck with your project. Next investment should be the manuals on your truck. They will take the mystery out of the mechanics. This Forum is a good resource, as is the Studebaker Truck Talk website. A few searches there will give you insight and probably pics of any maintenance or restoration process. Ask any questions you have on Studebaker Truck Talk and expect a speedy response.

BShaw
08-09-2010, 08:02 AM
What I found was: I055345.

Studebaker used an "I" for a "1". It would appear that it's a Champion 6 of 1953 vintage according to the 6 cyl. engine page.

(BTW, I'd like to get a 6 expert to volunteer to go over that page to make it better and more detailed, much the same way Skip Lackie did for the V/8 page)

Matttj
08-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Been browsin a bit, using google and whatnot, but not sure where to go to find or buy a manual. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated. Also, besides looking for a manual, washed the radiator out, gonna do the gas tank tommorow (I hope) and found out its a 6-volt (which it will remain for the time being). Besides that I am wanting to do plugs/wires, distributor, fresh oil in the air filter and of course an oil change. The engine moves very freely so I'm hoping I can at least get it to turn over, if not start (no plans on driving it then). After that I plan on looking into the brakes.

Pat Dilling
08-17-2010, 06:02 PM
One thing to remember is that it is 6 volt POSITIVE GROUND. Good luck with getting it going, what a great truck project.

Pat

4961Studebaker
08-17-2010, 06:29 PM
Been browsin a bit, using google and whatnot, but not sure where to go to find or buy a manual. Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated.

Matt the two most helpful shop manuals for R series trucks look like this.

Green one will assist in step by step repairs, maintain, and how to's of the trucks. Brown one is very helpful when it comes to individual parts of the truck from the engine, body, frame, and cab, (EVERY part) this is where you 'll see numbers on the pages which transpose into a Studebaker part number.
This Part number is helpfull because most all our Studebaker Vendors USE this number to assist you in finding the part you need.

I own both, Good luck.

2762 2763