More work on the 1942

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More work on the 1942

Hi. here are some more pictures of what i have got done. The brake and the clutch pedals are in it, temporarily, until I get the seat mounted and in position, to make sure they swing correctly. On the steering column in one of the pictures I made my own column drop. The tunnel is virtually completed, other than the final welding. The seats are out of 65 or 66 Daytona. Will have to be recovered. As for room for the air conditioning, I will have enough room, but it will be tight. The kind I want to put in is, heat and air with defrost. You can only post 5 pictures, but there will be more pictures following this, only probably no comments. I tack weld everything together so that is something does not correctly when all the pieces are in there, then it is lot easier to cut apart and redo. It takes more time, but it is my way of doing it. Hope you enjoy the pictures. Thanks
    Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

More pictures.
    Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

And more pictures
      Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

You are a real craftsman. Too bad a lot of that fine work will be unseen after the car is all together. Will the car be finished in time for the Springfield international meet 2011?
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

I hope to have it there. It might not be completely finished, but I hoped to have it running and driveable. Thanks for the compliment. I'm taking my time and trying to do it right. I should have more pictures to put up tomorrow night of the brake booster and master cylinder in the car. And then I will start on the clutch slave cylinder. You might not be able to see all the work, but at least I will know it's there. Thanks

Dusty Taylor

Comment

That thing is beautiful, but promise not to keep that 80's oem steering wheel. Do what I did, custom drill an old wheel.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	21_03_275084_2_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	1662223
            Alex Nelsen, certified Studebaker nut.
            Driving a 1954 Champion Coupe powered by a Chrysler 383.
            Lizella, GA

Comment

At one time we had a 57 Silver Hawk, that had a wood steering wheel with chrome spokes, will probably try to find one of those to put in it. I'm wanting to try to put later model gauges behind everything besides the speedometer. Thanks

Dusty Taylor

Comment

1942 Coupe

Here are more pictures of my 1942 Coupe. Progress on the floorboard, there are some pictures there that still have rust in it. That is the condition that I started with on the other side. I have finally got the swinging pedals, completely mounted, but have not the slave/master cylinder for the clutch on it yet. I've had the booster and master cylinder up on it, and it seems like it will work fine. We had one question awhile back about leaving enough room for the air conditioning. There is enough room, but will not have a glove box. I am still looking for 1957,58,59 Hawk fuel, water, oil pressure, and temp. gauges. If anyone has these in good working order, let me know. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them for you. Thanks Dusty
                Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Dusty,Although I have the largest Vintage air unit in my 41 I was able to save part of the glove box, it is 1 1/2" deep now. I did have to discard the wiper motor as there was just no room for it.
                  Frank van Doorn
                  Omaha, Ne.
                  1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
                  1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
                  1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Dusty

Really well done.

Keep posting.

Bob

Comment

Here is more pictures of the work I've been doing on the '42. This is from the passenger side floor board. The rear inside floor board area. Part of the seat mounts. And a question about the reclining seats. The seats are out of '65 or '66, but only the driver's seat reclines. Was that something they did towards the end , or what that an order deal? It was so hot for awhile, I didn't get much work done on it. Dusty
                      Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Here is some more.
                        Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

I have a couple of questions that I had meant to ask. On the picture with the glove box, has anyone out there got the piece that fits on top of the door, and the little square piece that fits into the dash. I have the ash tray but not this piece. One piece that is in primer in the pictures, is the column drop that I made. There is a picture of the steering column. Kind of hard to tell much about it, because of where I took the picture. Dusty
                          Attached Files

Dusty Taylor

Comment

Lookin good. I know what you mean about it being to hot to get much done. Most of my efforts have been short term during the heat wave.
                            "In the heart of Arkansas."
                            Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Gosh Dusty... all I can think of to say is... wow! Nice work. Wish I could do the same (floor wise) for Bess and her swiss cheese floors.

I know what you mean by the Heat Wave, Fan. It's been hovering just under 105 here on the mountain. Redding has been at and over 110. I just go outside in the sun and start to sweat and I'm not even doing anything.
                              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                              Ron Smith
                              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
                              X