connecting rods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• connecting rods

i'm getting ready to build the 289 for my street rod.my question is ;do all of the v8 use the weistpin locking bolt? also has any one tried a different rod(non=stude) in these engines???and what is the center-to-center length of the stude rods for a 289??? thanks hotrodstude

Yes, all V8 rods (other than the ultra-rare R3) use the pinch bolt
    Yes, many custom rods have been made by Carrillo and more lately Howards. Figure $1000 to $1800 a set for these.
    No, custom rods are only necessary for an all-out race engine. Since the OEM Stude V8 rods have an offset shank, a small crankpin diameter for their relatively long connecting rod length of 6.625”, nothing in the catalog is close to an interchange.
    FWIW, Ted Harbit and many other R1/R2 racers have put down thousands of drag strip runs, shifting at 6,500 RPMs and up, with few rod problems. Maybe, you should describe your application and tell us why you don't want to use the Stude rods.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

i'm planning to run home made fuel(alcohol) so i can run a compression ratio up tp 16-to-one.i'm done this before
      (76 t/a 455)but ran into government morons(state). virginia epa.but that is another story.do you think the stude heads and block will take it???i figure the stock rods can't take such hi pressures.or should i forget it and build a ford. i'm looking toward the future cause it seem that gasoline has a limited time before its gone. but don't get me started on our present government i'm feed up. if you would like more info let me know.i always plan ahead and get all of my parts together first ,this is just in the planning stage now. it's going to be a r-4 clone in a 1929 chevy

Comment

Im just curious as to how this design works. Will compression fire the alcohol at 16:1 as a deisel would work or is it a more conventional electric spark ignition system? Sorry, I dont know if the valve train would take that much compression or not although I suspect the block would. The push rods would most likely not. Steve
        Last edited by wolfie; 06-08-2010, 06:20 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

Yes, everything in the Stude would stand 16:1 compression for a while. Diesel pressures require diesel-size components if they are going to live long and prosper.

Alcohol requires spark ignition.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Why not just build a PROPANE Engine? That will be around a lot longer than Gasoline, has a higher octane than Racing Fuel and will be happy with Stock Avanti R1 10.25 to 1 Comp.

The emissions are close to 0, the engine Oil never gets dirty and the Engine almost never wears out! This would require very little mods to the Engine other than hard valve seats, Stock H.D. Avanti valves and different heat range Spark Plugs.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I love propane too but in a truck. The tanks are too heavy, the cost of the fuel is up to almost gasoline prices. Better to go to E85.

Comment

connecting rods

making my own still again,going to turn organic garbage into fuel, i;ve done this before,the only promlem is some fool down hetre will try to drink it and die.

Comment

How does the US guvmint and the state of Georgia handle the road tax on homemade fuel? Whether it is vegetable oil in a diesel or corn squeezins in a Stude, sooner or later, the tax will have to be paid or stiff fines will result.

One local guy bragged in a newspaper article about how he was collecting used cooking oil from restaurants and powering his cars with it. Pretty soon, he got a bill for estimated road taxes.

thnx, jack vines
                  PackardV8

Comment

when i had my still in fairfax county,va.i paid a small tax on amount made and then got a refund for not using the county landfill.

Comment

Working...
                    X