PDA

View Full Version : American Pickers Looking For A Studebaker Expert

DEEPNHOCK
06-08-2010, 07:17 AM
Well......Went looking....

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/5465820/nascar_star_ryan_newman_makes_a_deal.html

(See link for complete story)
(copy)
The duo are heading to the Carolinas in the van because the weather's a bit cold in Iowa. In North Carolina, a lead comes from Danielle for a bunch of old cars in a five acre junk yard that's "supervised" by Pippen and his twin brother on behalf of their grandfather. Frank Fritz finds many Gulf Oil horseshoes and some old oil cans (picked for $35, valued at $300). After some back and forth negotiating, the "No-Nox" gas pump was picked for $200 (valued at $450) and a 1950 Studebaker "Bullet Nose" was picked for $2,200, plus $700 to ship to Iowa) which especially thrilled Mike Wolfe. The History Channel stars also snatched up railroad lantern shades (picked for $25, valued at $240) and a Pepsi menu sign (picked for $50, valued at $100).

Danielle was charged with finding a Studebaker expert. The expert came by and called it "pretty complete" and a "solid car", and valued the relic at $3,200-$3,500 on Season 2, Episode 1 of American Pickers.

DEEPNHOCK
06-08-2010, 07:18 AM
So..... Who was this 'expert'?

50Champ
06-08-2010, 08:10 AM
It also said that Studebaker switched from building wagons to cars in 1912, which was incorrect....

Welcome
06-08-2010, 08:12 AM
So..... Who was this 'expert'?

Most certainly it would have to be:

1) Someone who was born with “Studebaker Red & Blue” blood flowing through their veins
2) Someone who has been involved with Studebakers their entire life
3) Someone who restores & DRIVES Studebakers
4) Someone who buys & sells Studebakers, Parts & Accessories
5) Someone who owns a Studebaker business
6) Someone who is recognized at every Studebaker venue they appear at
7) Someone who is so highly thought of, their regular column appears in the #1 Studebaker publication read by more than any other around the world!

That someone has to be none other than: MATTHEW BURNETTE!!!

Am I right???:o

BBStude
06-08-2010, 08:59 AM
Do you think they paid too much for the car? For the most part on TV, it looked solid. My dad bought a similar car two years ago completely restored and drove it home for $3000. I guess it depends on how much one wants to spend. Frank and Mike have a history of buying high and selling low when it comes to cars.

52-fan
06-08-2010, 09:11 AM
I thought the initial excitement shown upon finding the car was a bit much. Those guys would surely look one over more carefully than we saw on the episode before making a firm bid.(I hope!) Still.... they got burned on the Plymouth last season.
I would have wanted to look closely at the floors and other trouble spots before bidding. The interior looked like it might have been in decent shape.
Some Lark shine and tires that hold air might make a huge difference, but if I was buying the car to resell, like they do, I would not have bought it at that price.

jclary
06-08-2010, 09:13 AM
The "so-called expert" showed up driving a neat but "Non-Stude" coupé of some sort. From what I saw...these are the kind of people you would want to "sell" a car to but not "buy" one from.

50Champ
06-08-2010, 09:24 AM
Did you guys notice that when the Stude was pulled from the barn that the left front wheel wasn't turning? Then when it was being pulled through their yard in Iowa it was turning....

JBOYLE
06-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Nothing against the "expert" used by the show, but he said if was a "50 or 51".
Sorry guys, a real expert would have said one or the other.

I think I know the differences, but then again, I don't claim to be an "expert" on bulletnoses.

Chucks Stude
06-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Listen, they never figured in the transportation charge on their cost. North Carolina to Idaho can't be free. Or wherever. I may have the state wrong, but someone hauled it.

wolfie
06-08-2010, 12:58 PM
Listen, they never figured in the transportation charge on their cost. North Carolina to Idaho can't be free. Or wherever. I may have the state wrong, but someone hauled it.

They said $700 to transport it. Steve

Chucks Stude
06-08-2010, 01:24 PM
2400 plus 700 is 3100. Barely profitable.

mbstude
06-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Now this is funny.

1) Someone who was born with “Studebaker Red & Blue” blood flowing through their veins
7) Someone who is so highly thought of, their regular column appears in the #1 Studebaker publication read by more than any other around the world!

JBOYLE
06-08-2010, 01:43 PM

They're from Iowa....a bit chaeper than sending something to Idaho.

Seriously, I had trouble getting a big national shipper to bring my Avanti to me here in Washington....if it's not on the way to Arizona or California, it's a detour for the big guys.

COMMANDERPINK1
06-08-2010, 01:56 PM
Its just more reality TV or not for real.

Tom

JBOYLE
06-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Its just more reality TV or not for real.Tom

Take it from a guy who used to work in TV....nothing is real in "Reality" television.

But getting back to the show, I'd love a pair of those Gulf oil horseshoe magnets.
I do remember them back in the day.
They's be great on a period muscle car...

PlainBrownR2
06-08-2010, 04:05 PM

I think they'd also need somebody who grew up during the time the actual production facility was still operating as well, and who could still remember buying the cars off of the dealers lots(IE, a little more age and wisdom than us in the teen and twenty year old bracket).

(Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna high tail it back to my corner rather quickly after whizzing on that campfire) :D :rolleyes:

rockinhawk
06-08-2010, 04:41 PM
Now this is funny. I think Matthew knows the difference between a 50 and a 51! If he doesn't, I sure wasted a lot of time on him. NT

WannaDaytona
06-08-2010, 04:51 PM
My sixteen year old son (who likes old cars and thinks bulletnoses are cool too) and I saw the show the other night. The car looked to be solid and complete save for a rotten spare tire well in the trunk floor. I don't know that I'd have paid $2K for it, but I don't know anything about values for bullet nose Champions so I just might be a cheap-*ss non Stude owner. MHO is that they probably paid a tad bit too much but they didn't get as upside down as they did with that Plymouth.

What it did point up was that these guys don't know much about cars. Their "expert" was some Chip Foose wannabe who showed up in a rodded '41 DeSoto business coupe and called it a "50 or 51" like JBoyle said. I dunno about you guys, but if I was going to "appraise" a car on national basic cable television I'd at least tell the cameraman not to start taping me until I could hit the Googlenets to find some pictures so I could at least nail down the model year and sound like I knew what I was doing. My guess is that they'll send it to some guy like their "expert" to drop a SBC into it and make it look like the JC Whitney catalog threw up all over the interior. It's a shame, though-that car would make somebody a very nice project.

Bamajak
06-08-2010, 05:32 PM
The second place thay stopped (the place with the trailer) is just a few miles outside of Charlotte. I have never found anything worth buying at that place. But from time to time he had some Studebakers.

Bamajak
06-08-2010, 05:35 PM
One more thing thay went to Ryan Newman's place but did not talk to him about growing up in South Bend or his father assembling Avanti's.

whacker
06-08-2010, 06:42 PM
It was a $1200 car. Lots of promise, a good project for somebody. It was a 50.

johnod
06-08-2010, 09:44 PM
What is american pickers please,and where is it, I've never heard of it.

Thanks

bams50
06-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Monday nights, History Channel.

WannaDaytona
06-09-2010, 07:23 PM
What is american pickers please,and where is it, I've never heard of it.

Thanks

Like bams said, it's a Monday night TV show on the History Channel. The premise is that the camera follows around two "pickers"-scavengers who buy old junk and whatnot from people and then resell it to antique dealers, the people who decorate Cracker Barrel restaurants, auction houses, collectors, and so on. Each week the show follows the guys as they travel from their home base in Iowa around the country to dig in folks' basements and barns so they can buy for cheap whatever stuff they think they can make a quick buck (or fifty) off of.

The show is interesting if you're the kind of person who likes to go rooting through basements and junkpiles (and face it-if you weren't, you probably wouldn't be an old car person). The things they find are often pretty neat but the guys are kind of off-putting. I don't know what it is, but MHO is that they seem to be acting like they're a couple of smart fellas putting one over on the rubes. Other posters here and in other threads have also remarked on that. Like most folks around here I have no problem with capitalism and know that the guy who buys to resell needs to make a profit. But these fellas just have what my grandmother would describe as "a touch of nasty" about them-if they showed up on my front steps I'd run them off.

Son O Lark
06-10-2010, 06:13 AM
Has anyone in Iowa contacted them about NEXT time they need an appraisal? Isn't there a club member within a reasonable distance of them?

johnod
06-10-2010, 09:01 AM
Like bams said, it's a Monday night TV show on the History Channel. The premise is that the camera follows around two "pickers"-scavengers who buy old junk and whatnot from people and then resell it to antique dealers, the people who decorate Cracker Barrel restaurants, auction houses, collectors, and so on. Each week the show follows the guys as they travel from their home base in Iowa around the country to dig in folks' basements and barns so they can buy for cheap whatever stuff they think they can make a quick buck (or fifty) off of.

The show is interesting if you're the kind of person who likes to go rooting through basements and junkpiles (and face it-if you weren't, you probably wouldn't be an old car person). The things they find are often pretty neat but the guys are kind of off-putting. I don't know what it is, but MHO is that they seem to be acting like they're a couple of smart fellas putting one over on the rubes. Other posters here and in other threads have also remarked on that. Like most folks around here I have no problem with capitalism and know that the guy who buys to resell needs to make a profit. But these fellas just have what my grandmother would describe as "a touch of nasty" about them-if they showed up on my front steps I'd run them off.

Ya I'm guilty as charged about rooting around in junkpiles.
I like your grandmother's quote, it fits a certain type of person perfectly.

Thanks

Retired
06-10-2010, 11:38 AM
Remember it's "show biz". Editing, behind the sceans telephone calls to the "experts". Buyers list of already wanted items. Note U-Hall truck(s) in the back ground of some "shots", camera crew and space to haul most items purchased. Go on line and pull up The Quad City Times for 6 June 2010 and the 1st or 2nd of June for coverage of the pickers.

WannaDaytona
06-10-2010, 02:36 PM
Remember it's "show biz". Editing, behind the sceans telephone calls to the "experts". Buyers list of already wanted items. Note U-Hall truck(s) in the back ground of some "shots", camera crew and space to haul most items purchased. Go on line and pull up The Quad City Times for 6 June 2010 and the 1st or 2nd of June for coverage of the pickers.

Oh, I know. I just don't like the way these guys treat some of their "vendors". Thanks for the info about the festival.

Sdude
06-13-2010, 11:16 PM
I thought they paid a bit too much for it too. I also think that if they are going to be spouting off inappropriate values of Studebakers, I was glad to see them err on the high side.

tennessee_anomaly
06-14-2010, 08:09 PM
Those guys are annoying to a fault - smarmy and think they're just too cute. I'm not so sure they got that great a buy on anything I saw - the 50 Studebaker was interesting - I guess that could be an OKAY purchase. That was my first time watching the show - I'll probably watch it again since it's miles better than Dancing With The Stars or Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, but I really don't particularly care for these two characters. I was pretty impressed with Ryan Newman's car collection. 49 Buicks - too cool.

whacker
06-14-2010, 08:34 PM
In one of the earlier shows, the short fat guy (I don't remember these guys names) was going though some boxes and opened a Studebaker box with an NOS 1950 bullet. He glanced at it, put it back in the box, and went on to the next box. A worn example on eBay will bring $100! I know, I have sold several on eBay. I can't even estimate what an NOS one would go for. They are not half as smart as they think they are.

stude62
06-14-2010, 08:42 PM
They're from Iowa....a bit chaeper than sending something to Idaho.

Seriously, I had trouble getting a big national shipper to bring my Avanti to me here in Washington....if it's not on the way to Arizona or California, it's a detour for the big guys.

Yeah, and then good luck getting that car anywhere for three to four weeks on a good day, unless you hirer a truck and paid the driver to get it from point A to B and even then it wouldn't be no $700.

Dear God, did I just type "and even then it wouldn't be no..."? I expect to be haunted this evening by my ninth grade English teacher for that double negative!

studebaker1946
01-17-2012, 01:59 AM
the gentleman on this show who gave the vaule is a good friend of mine that lived here in vancouver washington.he moved out there i have not talked to him in a while. him and a friend use to put on a show out here at local airstrip.