PDA

View Full Version : Studebaker workers

Chris_Dresbach
06-05-2010, 01:05 AM
A survey. How many people here once worked for Studebaker? This includes anybody in South Bend plantx 1 and 2, Plant protection, Workers in the Chippewa ave. plants 3 and 4 (Aviation/SI now). Plant 8. The proving ground. The Chicago plant, LA plant, Canada plant, or other locations, and dealerships.
And any Bendix workers because Studebaker used many parts made by Bendix. South Bend or Ohio. (I think Ohio?)

Please include: The plant or dealership you worked in. The department (optional, as I don't know most of them!). What you did (Ex. Millwright, welder, foundry worker, uphoulstry, salesman, supervisor, engineer, trim worker, etc.) and the years you worked there.
Just for fun. Thanks! :)

Chris_Dresbach
06-05-2010, 01:11 AM
This also counts anybody who worked to move parts from Newman and Altman to SASCO, and SASCO to SI this past winter.

DieselJim
06-05-2010, 06:25 PM
Worked for Newman & Altman in the early 60's, Bendix Trucking Services in the 70's and for Studebaker International moving the SASCO inventory. Jim

41 Frank
06-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Myself and 4 or 5 other Husker Chapter members helped move some of the the Newman and Altman inventory 10 years ago when it became SASCO. This does not really count though because we were volunteers that showed up for a week and helped on our dime.

JDP
06-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Rockwell Standard bumper division making Studebaker bars in 1963, then back in the Navy when the Studebaker plant moved.

LarkR2Clone
06-05-2010, 09:24 PM
I was the truck driver 10 years ago for the Newman Altman to SASCO move.

satdoc2
06-05-2010, 10:03 PM
I worked as a mechanic for Skinner Motor Co., a Studebaker Dealer in Pasadena , TX for 2 years. Then as a mechanic for Lingo Oldsmobile and Studebaker Dealer in Baytown, Tx for 6 years.
Allen

Bob Bryant
06-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Bendix Automotive Service Division, summer of 1966, expediter for orders from outside sources including other Bendix divisions.

Bendix Metal-Ceramics Laboratory, summer of 1967, technician in R & D
(Nearly all research was devoted to aircraft brake development. Successful rejected take-offs (RTOs) were the goal. It was said that they could make a brake that would last the lifetime of an automobile, but that no one wanted them because of the cost of production.)

FlatheadGeo
06-05-2010, 11:05 PM
Does working at an AMC Dealer that was formerly a Studebaker Dealer count?

HawkGT
06-06-2010, 01:42 AM
I was a general service guy part-time for Pfeffer's in Pittsford, New York from '63 to '66, while attending college. I also assisted the district sales manager for western NY and PA during those years and made several trips to the Hamilton plant. Got to drive a lot of nice new Studes, including a brand new Avanti in late '63.

Chris_Dresbach
06-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Does working at an AMC Dealer that was formerly a Studebaker Dealer count?

Uh... ? Close enough. ;)

BobGlasscock
06-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Well, ok, if that counts, then this is where I worked.

But it was the Yellow Cab company when I worked there. :cool:

1952stude
06-06-2010, 07:44 PM
I worked at Studebaker's the last year of production on the Avanti line. I helped produce almost all the Avantis that were produced that year. I have many fond memories of the people with whom I worked and of working for Studebaker's.

Mr Speed 53
06-06-2010, 08:19 PM
I worked at a closed Stude dealer in the early 80s during my high school days. It was a GREAT TIME of my life being a Stude Geek moving to a town where there was still a Stude dealer. At the time we would sell used cars and X-mas trees in the winter while all the time listening to all the stories from the past. I have lots of fond memories from back then and have some promtional items as well as a 60 Lark Convt. Ed

Chris_Dresbach
06-06-2010, 11:42 PM
Neat stores so far, keep them coming. :)

Welcome
06-06-2010, 11:53 PM
Neat stories so far, keep them coming. :)

In 1962/63 I “worked” hard at Studebaker Salvage (Building 58) …trying to find the best stuff for what a high school kid could afford to pay …like Avanti dual-point distributors for $1.50 each. After they closed, I “worked” hard at Studebaker Plant # 8 supporting them by trying to buy everything I’d ever need to some day restore my ’56 GH. Although not fully successful in that endeavor, I do lay claim to having made the “last purchase” from Studebaker SASCO in Plant # 8 on the very day they completely vacated the property.

Jackson
06-07-2010, 11:29 AM
I worked at the Studebaker factory for three weeks in the fall of 1958, top floor of bldg. 82. My job (along with a co-worker) was to load Lark hoods on an overhead conveyor that was headed for the final line.

Dick Clemens
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Sold Studes at Bob Wondries Studebaker in Alhambra, CA in 1955, then in Monrovia, CA at Larry Wright Motors. Was top salesman for Southern California, Nevada,& Arizona.

studedick from the lower Ozarks