PDA

View Full Version : Questions re: pitman arm/power cylinder (bendix) 64 cruiser

tedbrinkley
06-04-2010, 10:59 PM
hello..........i have a 64 cruiser. lots of 'play' at the bottom end of the pitman arm, where it meets the 'power cylinder'. according to a shop manual, this looks like the Bendix type of power steering, and the manual seems to indicate there is are no adjustment options here (no screw to tighten, etc.)

i figure this is a well-known condition, so what are my options? if the pitman arm and the power cylinder are a unitized entity, can i buy one somewhere?

thanks for all insights.
(by the way, i've just had kingpin, bushings, and bell crank thingy replaced so it does go alot straighter. but i want to eliminate this 'play' if possible.)

TIA

--TB/GC

Skip Lackie
06-05-2010, 07:23 AM
The thing attached to the Pitman arm is called the control valve and it can be rebuilt without removing it completely from the car or detaching it from the Pitman arm. It is not a particularly pleasant experience, crouching there under the fender, but it has been done by many of us many times. The important parts of the rebuild kit (available from many vendors for around $20) are two small oil seals. If you keep everything very clean and keep track of the order and orientation of the the parts that came out, you can rebuild the control valve yourself. You can also send it out to be rebuilt, but then you have to remove it from the Pitman arm, which is actually the most difficult part of the process. Try using the forum search function for power steering rebuild. There have been a number of step-by-step procedures posted here that may be easier to follow than the procedure in the shop manual.

Skip Lackie
06-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Some background info and guidance here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/showthread.php?2282

skyway
06-07-2010, 12:35 PM
Don't mean to pick nits, but do you realize that there is play in the control valve which disappears once you start the engine?

I once had a safety inspection "mechanic" call me out to the garage prepared to fail the car over that one. He changed his mind once I had him start the car.