Looking for some help, what do I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some help, what do I do?

Hey guys, my church just got a 1955 Comander 4 door sedan donated to it. It has 33,000 original miles and it runs well. The car is complete and it still has its original paint, which is oxidized. The chrome all has light oxidation, but is in generally very good condition (this is a California car that has been garaged its whole life). The interior is nice with the exception of the drivers seat which the covering is torn at the seem but otherwise there. I have posted a couple of pictures so you can see the condition.

Now my questions, I have no idea what it worth or how the best way to sell it is. Can you guys let me know how the best way to get it sold is? Do I list on on some car websites such as this, or do I try ebay, or just use the local papers? Is this a desirable car? Should I try to shine it up a bit or leave it in as found condition? Thanks in advance for your help.

Looks like a decent starter car.
    It is a sedan, and that appeals to some and not to others.
    I would suggest that you wash it thoroughly, including under the hood, clean the carpeting and interior with some mild cleaner, clean out the trunk and vacuum that, too (under the mat if it is there and able to be moved without destroying it).
    Change the engine oil and filter, and fuel filter.
    Grease the chassis (there are a LOT of fittings, so go to a real repair shop, and not a quick lube).
    Have the brakes checked, and have the front wheel bearings re-packed.
    Then, clean it all again and take it to a place where you can take a bunch of clear, decent pictures of it, including under the hood, under the car, in the trunk, the floors inside, the seats, the door panels, the dash (including the odometer).
    Then offer it up here for sale for 1 week.
    Then, if it doesn't sell, put it on Ebay.
    If Ebay isn't your thing, I would suggest getting in contact with a few people here that sell Studebakers on Ebay. They will charge you a flat fee, or a percentage of the sale, but their service brings the results that end up paying for themselves...at a profit to you.
    They know how to write the ad, place the pictures, and put it all in Ebay in the best format to sell it.
    Remember...
    A clean car, clean pictures, and a great description will make a huge difference in attracting a buyer.
    Hope the info helps.
    Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Looks like a decent starter car.
      It is a sedan, and that appeals to some and not to others.
      I would suggest that you wash it thoroughly, including under the hood, clean the carpeting and interior with some mild cleaner, clean out the trunk and vacuum that, too (under the mat if it is there and able to be moved without destroying it).
      Change the engine oil and filter, and fuel filter.
      Grease the chassis (there are a LOT of fittings, so go to a real repair shop, and not a quick lube).
      Have the brakes checked, and have the front wheel bearings re-packed.
      Then, clean it all again and take it to a place where you can take a bunch of clear, decent pictures of it, including under the hood, under the car, in the trunk, the floors inside, the seats, the door panels, the dash (including the odometer).
      Then offer it up here for sale for 1 week.
      Then, if it doesn't sell, put it on Ebay.
      If Ebay isn't your thing, I would suggest getting in contact with a few people here that sell Studebakers on Ebay. They will charge you a flat fee, or a percentage of the sale, but their service brings the results that end up paying for themselves...at a profit to you.
      They know how to write the ad, place the pictures, and put it all in Ebay in the best format to sell it.
      Remember...
      A clean car, clean pictures, and a great description will make a huge difference in attracting a buyer.
      Hope the info helps.
      Jeff[8D]

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Find a Studebaker guy that will prep it for ebay by getting it road worthy and detailing the heck out of it for you, then pay him part of the extra money he'll make for you. You'll make more doing that, then selling it as-is and having the new owner do it.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
        64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert-63
        63 Lark 2 door
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
        59 3E truck
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

Find a Studebaker guy that will prep it for ebay by getting it road worthy and detailing the heck out of it for you, then pay him part of the extra money he'll make for you. You'll make more doing that, then selling it as-is and having the new owner do it.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
          64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
          63 Avanti R1
          63 Daytona convert-63
          63 Lark 2 door
          62 Lark 2 door
          60 Lark HT-60Hawk
          59 3E truck
          52 & 53 Starliner
          51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree with Jeff, except I wouldn't detail it under the hood. That original engine paint and original decals say a lot about the car to a potential buyer.

4 doors aren't as desirable as the sportier models. This one will sell because of the low mileage and originality. I wouldn't do ANYTHING to take away from that...even if it leaves it a little shabbier than a used car lot might do to it.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I agree with Jeff, except I wouldn't detail it under the hood. That original engine paint and original decals say a lot about the car to a potential buyer.

4 doors aren't as desirable as the sportier models. This one will sell because of the low mileage and originality. I wouldn't do ANYTHING to take away from that...even if it leaves it a little shabbier than a used car lot might do to it.

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Others are better suited to assessing "value" but assuming the proceeds are for your church I would suggest this:

1. Form a church committee to "prep" the car for sale. Be sure to involve some of the younger church members and have them:

2. Rub out and polish the exterior of the car.

3. Clean up the engine compartment any underneath of any oil or grease.

4. Determine the car's mechanical condition: Does it run and drive, if so, how well? What is the condition of the brakes? (Perhaps there's a church member who has mechanical skills or is related to a mechanic)

5. Take many decent photos of the car and post them in a public online album prospective buyers can easily access.

6. Write up a thorough description of the car covering the good, bad and ugly. No detail is insignificant to a prospective buyer.

7. I'd love to see you choose to advertise your Stude for sale in our monthly magazine, Turning Wheels. That magazine is read by more than 12,500 SDC members and your ad then appears on this web site. (Plus, the ads help make this website/forum possible.) If not there, try contacting the local SDC chapters in your state/region (they're listed on this web site) and there might be a member looking for a car like yours. Of course, you can use Ebay and might get pretty decent money going that route. If you do, check the Ebay site to see if you get a break on selling fees because it's for your church.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
                Woodbury, Minnesota
                sigpic
                Bob Shaw
                Rush City, Minnesota
                1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

Others are better suited to assessing "value" but assuming the proceeds are for your church I would suggest this:

1. Form a church committee to "prep" the car for sale. Be sure to involve some of the younger church members and have them:

2. Rub out and polish the exterior of the car.

3. Clean up the engine compartment any underneath of any oil or grease.

4. Determine the car's mechanical condition: Does it run and drive, if so, how well? What is the condition of the brakes? (Perhaps there's a church member who has mechanical skills or is related to a mechanic)

5. Take many decent photos of the car and post them in a public online album prospective buyers can easily access.

6. Write up a thorough description of the car covering the good, bad and ugly. No detail is insignificant to a prospective buyer.

7. I'd love to see you choose to advertise your Stude for sale in our monthly magazine, Turning Wheels. That magazine is read by more than 12,500 SDC members and your ad then appears on this web site. (Plus, the ads help make this website/forum possible.) If not there, try contacting the local SDC chapters in your state/region (they're listed on this web site) and there might be a member looking for a car like yours. Of course, you can use Ebay and might get pretty decent money going that route. If you do, check the Ebay site to see if you get a break on selling fees because it's for your church.

BShaw,Webmaster

60 Hawk. 49 2R5, 39 Champion
                  Woodbury, Minnesota
                  sigpic
                  Bob Shaw
                  Rush City, Minnesota
                  1960 Hawk - www.northstarstudebakers.com
                  "The farther I go, the behinder I get."

Comment

For comparison, I sold this car last year on eBay for about $5500. It is not the low mileage car yours is and not as nicely equipped, but it was a rust free California car, looked very good, ran and drove quite nice. It needed carpet and some detailing in the engine compartment.

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

For comparison, I sold this car last year on eBay for about $5500. It is not the low mileage car yours is and not as nicely equipped, but it was a rust free California car, looked very good, ran and drove quite nice. It needed carpet and some detailing in the engine compartment.

Dick Steinkamp
                      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks guys for all of your input. I can certainly get it cleaned up and polished. I think it will come out nice but I was afraid to do that and ruin the value. Now that I know it is ok, we will get to polishing.

It runs fine now. The oil and filters have been changed. So mechanically it is fine. The lady who owned always kept it up and runing.

Comment

Thanks guys for all of your input. I can certainly get it cleaned up and polished. I think it will come out nice but I was afraid to do that and ruin the value. Now that I know it is ok, we will get to polishing.

It runs fine now. The oil and filters have been changed. So mechanically it is fine. The lady who owned always kept it up and runing.

Comment

Now I could do more with this than Paul's '57 Packard wagon! I am interested in the car, but distance may be an issue.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Now I could do more with this than Paul's '57 Packard wagon! I am interested in the car, but distance may be an issue.

Guido Salvage - "Where rust is beautiful"

Studebaker horse drawn buggy; 1946 M-16 fire truck; 1948 M-16 grain truck; 1949 2R16A grain truck; 1949 2R17A fire truck; 1950 2R5 pickup; 1952 2R17A grain truck; 1952 Packard 200 4 door; 1955 E-38 grain truck; 1957 3E-40 flatbed; 1961 6E-28 grain truck; 1962 7E-13D 4x4 rack truck; 1962 7E-7 Champ pickup; 1962 GT Hawk 4 speed; 1963 8E-28 flatbed; 1964 Avanti R2 4 speed; 1964 Cruiser and various other "treasures".

Hiding and preserving Studebakers in Richmond, Goochland & Louisa, Va.

Comment

Working...
                              X