Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Throwout Bearing grease attachment tube.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwout Bearing grease attachment tube.

I have a throw-out bearing (clutch release bearing assembly) that has the tube for a grease attachment of some sort. Unfortuneately, I haven't the little tube or hose that the grease zerk would reside on. Where can I get one? This is holding me up from installing the transmission on my stationwagon and annoying the be-jeebers out of me.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

That must be the HD one, the parts are in the late chassis parts book in section 0203. Now where you can actually purchase same, if at all... I haven't tried.

I always wondered if you could just grease a throwout bearing like you would a bicycle chain, that is, fill the inside of a double boiler with grease, set it on the stove, and let the grease just melt into the bearing. I can't imagine why that wouldn't work. Obviously this procedure is best done when single, or if you have a shop stove in your garage...

It might almost be easiest just to take it to a hydraulic shop, explain what you're trying to do, and let them whip something up for you.

nate
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
      I have a throw-out bearing (clutch release bearing assembly) that has the tube for a grease attachment of some sort. Unfortuneately, I haven't the little tube or hose that the grease zerk would reside on. Where can I get one? This is holding me up from installing the transmission on my stationwagon and annoying the be-jeebers out of me.
      Should be easy to make a hose you can run outside the bell housing. Just get a grease gun whip hose, a zerk fitting and a couple of brass adapters. I made one years ago.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
        I always wondered if you could just grease a throwout bearing like you would a bicycle chain, that is, fill the inside of a double boiler with grease, set it on the stove, and let the grease just melt into the bearing. I can't imagine why that wouldn't work. Obviously this procedure is best done when single, or if you have a shop stove in your garage...

It might almost be easiest just to take it to a hydraulic shop, explain what you're trying to do, and let them whip something up for you.

nate
        (bolding mine)
        LOL!!! Yeah, my wife was understanding about that kind of thing to a very limited degree. I used to train horses to pull carriages and therefore had a lot of harness to clean and oil. There was a very large kettle I would put on the stove about once a week full of olive or neetsfoot oil and soak harness in. The whole house would smell like a tack shop. Good thing Robin liked Tack Shops. thankfully, it's a batchelor's pad here. George is a horrific housekeeper and would never know the difference. Actually, he'd likely try to taste it if I left the pot on the stove too long.

Originally posted by JDP View Post
        Should be easy to make a hose you can run outside the bell housing. Just get a grease gun whip hose, a zerk fitting and a couple of brass adapters. I made one years ago.
        Yeah, well... that's what I thought too. Only problem is where to get the stuff... Remember I'm in B.F.E. No. Cal.

I tried going by the No AutoParts Available store today and they were completely flumoxed. The place is a total frustration to me. Add to that, I need vaccum hose and forgot to get that when there. Duh!
        Ron Smith

Comment

Try McMaster-Carr online (http://www.mcmaster.com/#). They have everything you could imagine. Their tubing fitting selection is unparalleled IMHO and the online catalog is easy to work with. Neal

Comment

Excellent.

Comment

It shouldn't be too hard to get the pieces to add the hose. We do it all the time to service the Peterbilts where I work. If you know someone who works at a truck shop you might get them to make you one.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

You might also speak with Ed Reynolds. I remember him asking here on the forum for information on the location of where the grease fitting was originally placed on the bell housing for the throw-out bearing. That was a while ago, so maybe he found out what he needed & can answer your questions.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Thanks Warren for a great idea! I've P.M.ed him, however his profile seems inactive as of yet. Still, might as well cover all bases. I'll also try contacting him through his own website.
                  Ron Smith

Comment

Those HD bearings are the ones i sell with my trans adapter kit. I pump some grease in them and then cap em off. The hose coming off is standard 3/16 brake hose. They sell the couples at any parts store and will thread into a studebaker rubber hose as well. id be careful too much grease in the clutch housing slinging around can be a bad thing.
                    Dan Giblin
                    Cincinnati, OH

Comment

Originally posted by gibbsr1 View Post
                      Those HD bearings are the ones i sell with my trans adapter kit. I pump some grease in them and then cap em off. The hose coming off is standard 3/16 brake hose. They sell the couples at any parts store and will thread into a studebaker rubber hose as well. id be careful too much grease in the clutch housing slinging around can be a bad thing.
                      Yes, oil and grease in the clutch assembly is bad JuJu!<evil smiley> Just to be clear, the rubber brake hose is female on one end? Otherwise what part do I tell these Yahoos I need, because they sure aren't going to know. Then I need the adapter for the zerk. Well, hopefully Kragan's or AutoZone will have what I'm looking for.
                      Ron Smith

Comment

I found a picture of what I'm looking for in the Lark Service Manual. It's called a 'Grease Cup'. The bearing that I have is for the Y-bodied Larks. So, all I have to do is take the manual, and my bellhousing to the shop and have them reproduce what's in the manual.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by studeclunker; 06-20-2010, 10:45 PM. Reason: remove sig.
                        Ron Smith

Comment

Ahhh.....always wondered how you would prevent over-greasing of that T/O bearing. Now I understand, after seeing the grease cup. Thanks for the pic Clunk, I've taken the liberty of saving it for future reference.
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC
                          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                          Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Working...
                          X